found my second Peugeot..!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John the Canuck

..a long way from somewhere called Home..
I just found my second Peugeot - in my village .!.--- a PE10N in 54cm [ luckily ] and built Dec 1987
a bit more surface rust than i would have liked over the frame
but cheap enough to ''go for it'' - especially as bikes rarely come available locally
and biggs682 again....said offer him less £20......it worked...:thumbsup:
1024-01_zps353c66a1.jpg
spent today stripping it down to the frame - it was well greased - even the BB - so an easy job

the tyres are binned
the steel rims and spokes are too rusty to save
I'll keep the hubs - maybe get some cheap alloy rims and have rebuilt with the Malliard 5speed freewheel

the bars have rust patches all over the chrome..[ to be replaced - and the saddle]

but I don't want a perfect restoration - i have the ''Loire'' for that
CC04_zpsebf30508.jpg
i see the Premiere as a daily 'out for a hack' in the country lanes - rust and all..!!

goodnight......:hyper:......................john

PS
I'll get some progress pics up sometime this week

Last edited:

Kevoffthetee

On the road to nowhere
An optimum would look nice in that collection :whistle:

GGJ

Veteran
Hard to beat a nice Steel Peugeot frame, very underrated in my opinion

I have a P10L which I bought new in 1985, in 1987/8 I upgraded the groupset to the all new singing and dancing Shimano 1051 SIS system with Biopace rings and a nice set of Mavic MA2 rims. Of all my bikes the Peugeot is possibly one of the easiest to ride, it absorbs the road and there is no feeling of being uncomfortable, no roadbuzz just smooth easy riding. To date this bike has been ridden over 11,000 miles and still keeps going faultlessly

P1010355.jpg

P1010354.jpg

OP
OP
J

John the Canuck

Hard to beat a nice Steel Peugeot frame, very underrated in my opinion

I have a P10L
P1010355.jpg

============================================================================================

Damn.......i love red bikes.!......

1.. any tips how to thread the brake outer cable through the frame..?....existing one still in situ -
2...i need new wheels
did you get cassette hubs or freewheel [ to retain the Malliard 5speed.] .?

cheers

GGJ

Veteran
1.. any tips how to thread the brake outer cable through the frame..?....existing one still in situ -
2...i need new wheels
did you get cassette hubs or freewheel [ to retain the Malliard 5speed.] .?

cheers

Remove the old inner cable, leave the old outer in situ, cut the old outer cable at the front end of the top tube leaving about 2-3 inches sticking out of the top tube, cut the old outer at the rear end of the top tube leaving about 2-3 inches sticking out. Measure and cut an approximate length of new outer cable making sure you don't cut it too short, now feed the new inner through the new outer and through the old outer and when the two outers come together gently pull them both through the top tube. Hope I've explained this clearly and you understand.

I've seen plenty 5 speed wheels for sale, they are usually reasonably priced and readily available through the usual sources on the net

I have 7 speed on my Peugeot now, when I changed it back in 1987/8 I did away with the old 5 speed

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
i could not agree more re these old Pugs still make a great bike even today , will we be saying the same about todays machines in 20+ years

GGJ

Veteran
The hubs were part of the 1051 groupset they are Shimano Uniglide fitment, not unlike modern cassettes. Very difficult to find nowadays as they only made them for a few years before Shimano changed the system to Hyperglide.
They are called SIS (Shimano Index System) and when you move the downtube shifter lever they have evenly spaced clicks, one click per gear change. This takes all the guesswork out of how much the shifter lever needs to be moved and prevents half gear shifts, missed gears etc.

I had them built back in 1987/88 onto the Mavic MA2 rims using stainless steel double tapered spokes...All the rage back them ^_^

Where to buy them today, I don't know. In the last 18 months I've only seen one tidy looking 1051 groupset for sale

If you want to keep with freewheels and friction shifters I can highly recommend Mavic 500/550 hubs, beautifully made and press fit bearings that are easily obtainable for a couple of pounds

This is a set of Mavic 500 hubs that I had built onto some NOS Mavic Open 4 CD rims last year for my ALAN

P1010409.jpg

These hubs take standard 7 speed blocks

19T-13 left and 21T-12 on the right
P1050481.jpg

This is the wheels built up
w1.jpg

w2.jpg

w3.jpg

and fitted with Maxxis C1115 tyres
P1050524.jpg

P1050523.jpg

P1050522.jpg

OP
OP
J

John the Canuck

GGJ

very fine indeed - and thanks for taking the time to photograph and upload - much appreciated
always nice to see a pic of what you're describing

took the hub out of the front wheel - and only then checked the bearing cups - doh - some surface pits so binned

square 1 then....buying Mavic hubs and rims is good for choice - no LBS to build them though....:sad:
i recall Pat used an LBS in Paisley - but no car is a problem - disadvantage of living rural

square 2.. looks like my route is buying a complete wheelset
i'll start searching the web - not quite sure of all the tech details of what i need, so may just put a Wanted advert up here

cheers....john

PS .. I'm keeping the Malliard 5speed 14-28 - so hope to use that

GGJ

Veteran
Modern rims and modern hubs, cheap and not very nice or period looking, plus you would need to ask the vendor what the width of the hubs are as you are looking for 126 OLN

These are rather lovely if you want to go down the route of tubular tyres...These are stunning...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CAMPAGNOL...sure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item3a907e040d

Cheap Mavic 500 with Mavic SUP rims for a reasonable price, some wear to the brake rim but nothing to worry about, complete with 7 speed 21T-13 block
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MAVIC-500...sure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item56652497e4

Mavic 500 with Wolber TX Profil rims and a nice Regina 18T-12 racing block This would be my choice of clinchers from the above :dance:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GREAT-VIN...553?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d1d9f1881

OP
OP
J

John the Canuck

hi........thanks for the info

i contacted the seller......yes, 130mm OLD [which is 'spreadable']
£60 budget wheels for sure - but I'm on a pension and they are intended for my 'run-around' bike
any quality stuff will be for the 'Loire'

i think the Campag will be bid up beyond my budget....:laugh:

Mavic 500 are £94 + new tyres.....:sad:

I'll put a bid in on the Netherlands wheels - don't hold much hope though
they 'could' go on the Loire i suppose, whose steel wheels could then be moved to the ''run-around''

decisions decisions and no money.!................:rolleyes:

PS...these are nice too
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121346049301?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

GGJ

Veteran
I would be tempted to change the wheels on the Loire, reason being they are chrome rims and should you happen to be caught out in the rain and try braking on chrome rims they can be a bit of a butt clenching experience :wacko:

Yes the link you provided are nice wheels, but what size is that low gear, you could climb Everest with that :laugh:

OP
OP
J

John the Canuck

I would be tempted to change the wheels on the Loire, reason being they are chrome rims and should you happen to be caught out in the rain and try braking on chrome rims they can be a bit of a butt clenching experience ...............:laugh:

head is spinning now .... :wacko:

large flange wheels on the [fair-weather] Loire would be excellent - always thought they looked ace

steel wheels [which are mint BTW] moved to Premiere - which as the new run-around - is more likely to get caught in the rain

need to re-group..............coffee time...:reading:

Top Bottom