fox shock bushings

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

phil120867

Über Member
I've bought some new al rings and spacers from Mojo but I just can't get the al rings out. I've tried putting a largish socket on one side and tried to push the new ring through with an old spacer and clamping it all in a 'Workmate' I've just succeeded in breaking the wooden bench on the workmate.

Do I need a special tool
Do I need to take it to LBS (and feel guilty as I bought the parts on line)

would it be ok just to fit the new spacers?

GilesM

Legendary Member
I take it that when you say the al rings you mean the round split inserts that actually fit into the body of the shock unit. If this is the case, I think the reason why what you are doing will not work is that the outside diameter of the spacer is slightly bigger that the internal diameter of the hole through the body of the shock, therefore you are just pushing the spacer against the body of the shock, I just checked on a set I removed a couple of months ago, and this is the case, outside diameter of the insert is 15.1mm, this will be reduced slightly when inside the shock body as it will be compressed, and the spacer outside diameter is 15.6mm. one suggestion would be to file down the larger diameter on the spacer so that it will be small enough to push through the hole in the body of the shock, 0.5 to 0.7mm filed off all around the outside diameter of the spacer should do the trick, just don't file the off all of the lip on the spacer otherwise it never work, and make sure you are filing the old spacer:smile:. s for using the old inserts, I wouldn't, best to replace the lot together.

Finally, Mojo will sell you a special tool for £29, but I think making your own is more fun.

I hope this helps.

Giles

Top Bottom