FPT

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fraz21

Regular
Hi,
I’m looking for roads to conduct a 20 minute FPT test, in Chester E Port Wirral or North Wales area, thanks.

BurningLegs

Veteran
I can’t help with route selection I’m afraid (not local) but might be able to offer advice in other areas of the FTP (Functional Threhsold Power) test.

Two key things to consider are how are you going to record/determine your FTP, and then what are you going to do with it afterwards?

OP
OP
F

Fraz21

Regular
Hi Burning Legs,
I’m going to record on a power meter and heart rate monitor, I’m just after the information for climbing hills, thanks.

BurningLegs

Veteran
If you’re interested in climbing, then no reason not to do the FTP test on a climb. That will probably make it easier to avoid traffic lights and junctions etc if there is a long enough climb near you 🙂

One word of warning - doing FTP tests is a skill itself, and not everyone masters it. I always get higher 20min power numbers in races and/or climbs than I do during a test, so don’t bother anymore - I just take my FTP from those events. Don’t feel that you have to do an FTP test to get your FTP, if that makes sense 🙂

OP
OP
F

Fraz21

Regular
If you’re interested in climbing, then no reason not to do the FTP test on a climb. That will probably make it easier to avoid traffic lights and junctions etc if there is a long enough climb near you 🙂

One word of warning - doing FTP tests is a skill itself, and not everyone masters it. I always get higher 20min power numbers in races and/or climbs than I do during a test, so don’t bother anymore - I just take my FTP from those events. Don’t feel that you have to do an FTP test to get your FTP, if that makes sense 🙂
I want to know what I watts to hold before going into the red 👍

OP
OP
F

Fraz21

Regular
The obvious question to ask is do you have access to a turbo trainer? Even a dumb one coupled with your power meter will give you very good results.
Hi,
No I don’t but I may be able to get that information from my local gym

OP
OP
F

Fraz21

Regular
If your gym uses Wattbikes then you can do an FTP test on them.
Ok thanks

Top Bottom