Frame Engraving - is it Safe?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

02GF74

Über Member
I would say it is safe - most bikes have the frame number stamped in teh bottom braket anyway.

why do you need a post code since you have an idnetifying number already?

and what is to stop either being ground off?

let's face it, the likelihood of you ever seeing your bike(s) once it has been nicked is pretty remote - the police are more interested in catching speeding motoristic than chasing pikies on bikes.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I had mine done today. They used acid, painted on thru' a perforated tape. Almost invisible - tho' they did it on the crossbar, before I noticed, while I was filling out a form...which I wasn't too thrilled about. Not that it matters too much for me on my battered steed, but if I had something fancier I might be a bit peeved. You'd think they'd at least ask.

It probably won't make any difference, but on the other hand, it can't hurt and you never know. Why postcode when you've already got a serial number? 'Cos with your house number & postcode, they can trace it back to you. What use is a serial number, if they've nothing else to go on?

OP
OP
punkypossum

punkypossum

Donut Devil
swee said:

But most people would have a record of their serial number and quote that if the bike was stolen, so I suppose it would be equally easy to trace it back...

I gave the engraving a miss in the end...wasn't convinced it was such a good idea....

PaulSB

Legendary Member
My hope with the datatag is that someone will be put off by the stickers on the bike.

I'll never know whether it has worked.

Well mine had 5 stickers on it in total and didn't stop the buggers who brok into the garage and nicked it.

byegad said:
I'm thinking of getting a Datatag for my recumbent trike. Anyone have any bad or good experience of using one?

I love the idea of Datatag but the reality is it does nothing at all unless the bike is found in some way. I think a GPS unit would work and I would happily pay for that. It would be beautiful really, bike gets nicked, GPS gives a fix on its location and the police turn up to arrest the little scroot.

Mortiroloboy

Dave5N said:
Who the hell would nick a recumbent trike?
Apart from the obvious. it's not like it wouldn't get noticed or remembered in the public bar?

For that very same reason, I once owned a Citroen 2CV, :smile: You had to know how the gear shift worked in that baby...weird;)

Top Bottom