Frame Fatigue (Possibly, this is why I'm asking...!)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
The seller of my new to me Genesis (2015 model) gave me a little pot of touch up paint which I assume came with the bike along with the handbook? Maybe check if you got one?

OP
OP
mythste

mythste

Veteran
The seller of my new to me Genesis (2015 model) gave me a little pot of touch up paint which I assume came with the bike along with the handbook? Maybe check if you got one?

I do! Truth be told I'm scared to use it! :laugh:

byegad

Legendary Member
Be highly unlikely to be stress at that point I’d have thought. Maybe the frame has missed some essential rust proofing at that those points. As it’s on both sides could this be where it’s been hung up by hooks during the painting or rust proofing processes?
I’d send some pics to Genesis for their view.
My thoughts exactly, looks like damage from hanging, either pre/during painting or at a later date.

OP
OP
mythste

mythste

Veteran
Count yourself lucky you actually have access to touch up paint; let alone getting it included with the bike!

I do, that's why I'm scared to use it!

To be fair, I'll be getting a full respray in the next few years and there are scratches etc elsewhere on the bike that need attention before this. It's a frame for life this one. She's semi retired from commuting duties now I have a CdF as well. I'll be taking the guards off and treating her as a fair weather steed soon.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
*moron alert*
I’ve been racking my brains all day about this. Thinking it can’t possibly have been scratched under the seatstay in the same place on both sides. That’s just so unlikely and illogical. But everyone is confirming it looks like an abrasive incident and there are scratch marks there.
I did one tour where I had to put bungees over the tent on top of the rear rack. Anchored the hooks on those points.
sorry for wasting everyone’s time. I’m just a twat.^_^

:laugh: Your mothers got a ......... :whistle: (in joke to those not in the know) - only just seen this - was going to say hung on something. PS get it cleaned up, a drop of Q-rust, and then touchup paint on it. Looks like Seat Leon metallic yellow !

OP
OP
mythste

mythste

Veteran
:laugh: Your mothers got a ......... :whistle: (in joke to those not in the know) - only just seen this - was going to say hung on something. PS get it cleaned up, a drop of Q-rust, and then touchup paint on it. Looks like Seat Leon metallic yellow !

You know what, I deserve everything I get for not putting 2 and 2 together on this one!

OP
OP
mythste

mythste

Veteran
Before you do, we'll look after the Orange and Trek, just in case you spill the paint. :tongue:

You think I'm letting Steve anywhere near any of my bikes you've got another thing coming. That man has used 12 of his 9 lives by now.

Landsurfer

Veteran
The frame will have been through stress analysis involving finite element and von mies calculations ... it's failure mode is well understood and its stress / fatigue index / life is a known value ....
The reason modern cycle manufactures don't publicise it is the HUGE reserve factor of stress life your frame has .... When they say a frame has a life warranty they really mean it ..... i wouldn't even get interested in the fatigue life of a mass produced frame until the 10 year point ... and thats totally subjective on my part.... assuming its metal .. not carbon ... carbon frames are a different kettle of bi-valve molluscs :okay:

Top Bottom