Frame good for gravel?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rualexander

Legendary Member
Doesn't look like it has clearance for anything but skinny tyres.

vickster

Legendary Member
Just make sure the internal cables aren’t rattly if riding off road on rougher stuff! :wacko:
that looks quite battered.
isn’t clearance generally an issue with rim brakes?
maybe get an old school rigid MTB?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Peter Salt

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
Just make sure the internal cables aren’t rattly if riding off road on rougher stuff! :wacko:
that looks quite battered
Yeah, don't mind the batter factor at all. Just looking for a used alu frame with internal cabling that takes rim brakes and decent width tyres. Don't mind if half the paint is gone :laugh:

Rattling - I tend to leave the inner bit of the outer cable inside the frame.

isn’t clearance generally an issue with rim brakes?
maybe get an old school rigid MTB?
I'm unlikely to go really wide. If it can take 28mm gravellish tyres I'm good. Have spare Ultegra 6800 set and they should fit that.

Rigid MTB - Any out there with internal cabling?

OP
OP
Peter Salt

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
Why do you have to have internal cables?
Rim brakes plus wide tyres are a challenge without that
My thoughts are around longevity and less maintenance. Likely to get the bike dirty and with no mudguards the stones/mud will keep hitting the exposed cables. I also just plainly like it.

I know it's a challenge, been looking for something that could work.

Maybe I should go with a new frame, say like this Triban. Anyone know if Decathlon do just frames?

My thoughts are around longevity and less maintenance. Likely to get the bike dirty and with no mudguards the stones/mud will keep hitting the exposed cables. I also just plainly like it.

Maybe I should go with a new frame, say like this Triban. Anyone know if Decathlon do just frames?

Exposed full cables will be less maintenance than normal cables. Doesn't matter a bit if a stone or mud hits them.
Rim brakes really aren't ideal for wider tyres. I'd go disc.

All uphill

Still rolling along

If you can get over exposed cables how about a nice steel frame from Spa?

vickster

Legendary Member

No they don’t but that’s pretty cheap for a bike

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
If you’re going to ride gravel you are likely to need min 35 if not a bit wider. Disc brakes a must, imho. Not to say you can’t ride bone dry hard pack on 28s but will be sketchy in the winter and on anything resembling mud.

edit to add I know you can get CX tyres and they are 30-32 generally but you mention gravel so am guessing it’s a slightly different requirement.

OP
OP
Peter Salt

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
If you’re going to ride gravel you are likely to need min 35 if not a bit wider. Disc brakes a must, imho. Not to say you can’t ride bone dry hard pack on 28s but will be sketchy in the winter and on anything resembling mud.

edit to add I know you can get CX tyres and they are 30-32 generally but you mention gravel so am guessing it’s a slightly different requirement.
To be fair, I just need something a bit more capable then a road bike on slicks :laugh: Isn't 'gravel' just a new word for cyclocross anyway ;)

Maybe should just look for a CX frame then?

[EDIT]: All the rim brake frames I can see use the double mounts?

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
To be fair, I just need something a bit more capable then a road bike on slicks :laugh: Isn't 'gravel' just a new word for cyclocross anyway ;)

Maybe should just look for a CX frame then?

[EDIT]: All the rim brake frames I can see use the double mounts?

Why not just sell the rim brakes and get a disc brake bike.
The Boardman CXs are reasonably priced with discs and take good wide tyres

Top Bottom