Frame ID help required please..... spade BB marking???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sittingbull

Veteran
I've posted this before a little over 2 years ago and received a few helpful comments but no positive ID.

As the CC clientele have evolved over this time I'm hoping someone may recognise it.

Note the distinctive fastback style seat cluster, the apparent spade on the BB, the word "brands" on the fork crown and the above BB cable guides.

As always, any help appreciated :okay:

ken1.jpg

ken2.jpg

ken3.jpg

ken4.jpg

ken5.jpg

Last edited:

Sharky

Guru
Wild guess after googling. Is it colner frame?

midlife

Guru
Over BB cable guides, long dropouts, lateral t t cable run on TT, cinelli MC fork crown make it late 70's, maybe 80's at a pinch but by then portacatena / shorter dropouts had taken over. Are the barakes countersunk?

Brands may well be the name of a shop?

Shaun

OP
OP
sittingbull

sittingbull

Veteran
@classic33 it is likely the groupset was updated around the time you quote, possibly after the yellow re-spray :okay:

@biggs682 you probably saw it previously, it's one of Ken's, still unidentified. Belgian?.... any names? :okay:

@midlife some useful pointers, I don't have the frame to hand so cannot say whether the brakes are countersunk. I can't confirm dropout spacings either, which may be of use. "brands" may well be the name of a shop, or even a rider, maybe applied at the same time as the spade emblem, I have no idea whether these are etched, stamped or engraved :okay:

There is a number stamped on the BB, just visible in the photo above, it would appear to be 198*, possibly 1980.

I still have the original photos so could possibly show more detail if required.

Last edited:

midlife

Guru
1980 fits with the design of the fame. Lugs could either be Prugnat S4 or Bocama competition which arrived in the early 80's. Fastback looks really well executed and the guides on the left if the frame are for Campag etc. Nice :smile:

Shaun

classic33

Leg End Member
There was a Brands frame builder last listed in Suffolk, late 70's. There is also a Brands Cycles there at present, but thought that last one was too obvious.

OP
OP
sittingbull

sittingbull

Veteran
@classic33 that is potentially useful, having searched previously I cannot recollect tying the word "brands" to a frame builder. Can the spade be associated with anything that you have found?

Surely this frame is not a one-off?

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
Name came up in a list of frame builders, in the UK. Gave a rough location if no longer there or the address where known.
Coincidence that there's a Brands Cycle shop in Suffolk!

classic33

Leg End Member
Number on BB begins with a modern 4, not the older figure four(two vertical, one horizontal line).
There's something else below the fourth digit of the number, but unable to make it out properly

OP
OP
sittingbull

sittingbull

Veteran
ken6.jpg

Not sure about a 4, maybe scratches etc.?

Not so sure about 1980 now, I can only really make out 19, then an 8 after the spade.

The spade emblem now looks to have a raised profile and appears to be lug-lined.

Top Bottom