Frame set suggestions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mynydd

Veteran
hi I'm some advice.
I've used the cycle to work scheme three times now. I've bought a tricross, a cube sl, and the third time I used it to upgrade my wheels and buy a bit of clothing.
I'll be able to use the scheme again in a few months. I commute every day in all weather on my tricross and go out most Sundays with a club and do between 50 and 80 miles, with the odd 100 miler, on my cube.
I'd really like to get a higher, spec bike now for longer rides. But the 1000 pound limit isn't going to allow me to get anything better than the cube. For this reason I bought new wheels for it last time, they made a huge difference.
I'm thinking of buying the best carbon frame I can for under 1000 pounds and swapping over the bits and pieces from the cube (mainly ultegra). And in time replacing the parts on the cube with cheaper components as, and when I can afford them.
It's a project I'd enjoy, and hopefully get me a slightly better bike in the long run, as well as an alternative commuter, in the form of my cube.
Does anyone have suggestions as to framesets I could / should be looking at?
Many thanks

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
I bought one of these a while back for my wife, https://www.i-ride.co.uk/2015-Krypton-Frameset.aspx
She preferred it to her Cervelo, She says it feel nicer and faster. It's to small for me to ride but i do think it's a really good frame. a little over budget, but so much nicer than a planet X or Ribble.

OP
OP
mynydd

mynydd

Veteran
Thanks for the suggestions.
"Officially" for commuting, as is my current cube..... in reality it's the tricross, equipped with mudguards and rack that gets used ......
I'm looking for something for sunny morning commutes and longer Sunday rides

OP
OP
mynydd

mynydd

Veteran
Are you restricted to certain retailers?
Our scheme restricts a bit but there is a fair bit of choice, out three lbs plus Evans and wiggle. And a few others. May even end up using inter free credit tbh

Are you allowed to buy frames on the scheme? I thought it had to be a complete bike (at least it was when I bought a bike that way).
Depends on the shop. Last time got wheels, bib shorts, winter boots and mudguards...... that was from Evans

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Depends on the shop. Last I've I got wheels, bib shorts, winter boots and mudguards...... that was from Evans

Interesting. Was that instead of a bike, not as well as? I know you're allowed to use part of the voucher to buy accessories for your new bike, but I thought the bulk of it had to go towards a complete bike. It's some years since I used the scheme so it may well have changed since then.

OP
OP
mynydd

mynydd

Veteran
Interesting. Was that instead of a bike, not as well as? I know you're allowed to use part of the voucher to buy accessories for your new bike, but I thought the bulk of it had to go towards a complete bike. It's some years since I used the scheme so it may well have changed since then.
No you don't have to buy a bike. Depends on how the shop concerned interpret the rules. My lbs were happy to let me buy wheels and accessories. In the end I used Evans, as they had the exact things I wanted. Ordered it all online, applied the voucher code and picked it up a week later ^_^ that was last summer

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Hmrc now allow the buying of frames, forks and components. Rules changed in april 2016

Top Bottom