Frame size comparisons

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

macp

Guru
I have been looking at frame sizes for my new bike and yes I will try some before I buy :smile:. My current Kinesis Racelight T2 is a 57cm but despite constant fiddling and fitting a shorter stem and flipping it I still shoulder get pain and find myself sliding forward on the seat. I am 5ft 11in with a 32cm inseam/inside leg. From this I have deduced my dear Watson that I should be on a 56 or even a 55. I am looking at touring bikes and when looking at the Dawes Gran Tour interestingly I note the horizontal TT measurement on the 53cm is within 2 or 3mm of my Kinesis. Does this mean I could select a 53cm in the Dawes ?

J8UbD3u.png

BR2RarA.png

Last edited:

Lozz360

Veteran
You are 1803mm tall so according to the table you need a 57cm frame, not 53cm! Which, by coincidence is the frame size you have with your Kinesis.

One other point, you are probably a 32-inch inseam not 32-cm! If I'm wrong, ignore the above!

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
At about the same height as the OP I go for a 54cm top tube and 110cm stem. In years past I would have specced a 56.5cm seat tube, but it doesn't seem to work that way nowadays.

OP
OP
macp

macp

Guru
You are 1803mm tall so according to the table you need a 57cm frame, not 53cm! Which, by coincidence is the frame size you have with your Kinesis.

One other point, you are probably a 32-inch inseam not 32-cm! If I'm wrong, ignore the above!

Doh !

So looking at the dawes chart the top tube on the 53cm is close to that of the 57cm kinesis.

OP
OP
macp

macp

Guru
At about the same height as the OP I go for a 54cm top tube and 110cm stem. In years past I would have specced a 56.5cm seat tube, but it doesn't seem to work that way nowadays.

Yes im thinking a 54 or a 56cm with a sloping TT

Lozz360

Veteran
Doh !

So looking at the dawes chart the top tube on the 53cm is close to that of the 57cm kinesis.
Sorry, I think I misunderstood your OP. I thought you were confusing top tube lengths with frame sizes. What you are asking is, should you go for the Dawes 53cm frame size as it has a TT length very similar to the TT length of your current Kinesis which is a 57cm frame size?

If it was me, I would get a professional bike fit on the Kinesis. It's worthwhile doing anyway IMHO. Hopefully it will help with your shoulder and back pain. Explain to the fitter your intention of purchasing a touring type bike. You normally get a report with the key measurements that you can transfer to another bike.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Times have changed i can get comfy on a new style 54cm bike ie Genesis cdf and the Bmc racemachine i have , bur put me on a retro pre 2000 bike and i prefer a 56+

ozboz

Guru
I am 6' smack on , with a 32"
Inside leg , over the last year I have bought two new bikes , both are 54 cm , both suit me fine , so similar would suit you I would have thought,

vickster

Legendary Member
I am 6' smack on , with a 32"
Inside leg , over the last year I have bought two new bikes , both are 54 cm , both suit me fine , so similar would suit you I would have thought,
Manufacturers vary, you need to be sure which part of the bike has been measured to give the 'size', it's not necessarily the TT

I'm just under 5'10 and ride 54cm top tubes

To the OP, if you have injuries and a bike that might be too big, make sure you get a decent testride from Evans or similar. Consider a post purchase fit by a trained physiotherapist who does fits, rather than a Retul type fitter who's done a two day course

ozboz

Guru
, I stood over frames to decide what fit me , I do not think the BH has numbered sizing , but does measure 54 cm to the tt , as does the other one ,

vickster

Legendary Member
, I stood over frames to decide what fit me , I do not think the BH has numbered sizing , but does measure 54 cm to the tt , as does the other one ,
To the TT, i.e. The seat tube length? Some manufacturers use the effective length of the TT from headtube to seatpost. This is how my 54cm bikes have been measured, I'm a smidge under 5'10. I expect if you are 6ft and male (height in torso as opposed to legs), your bikes have an effective TT longer than 54cm, possibly 56 or even 58?

OP
OP
macp

macp

Guru
Well today I slung my leg over a Dawes Gran Tour size 53 and then a Kona Jake size 54 and I honestly would not have picked a larger frame size for either of them as they would have been too big. Colour me surprised !

I am currently salivating over the Kona Rove ST http://www.konaworld.com/rove_st.cfm

Last edited:
Manufacturers vary, you need to be sure which part of the bike has been measured to give the 'size', it's not necessarily the TT

I'm just under 5'10 and ride 54cm top tubes

To the OP, if you have injuries and a bike that might be too big, make sure you get a decent testride from Evans or similar. Consider a post purchase fit by a trained physiotherapist who does fits, rather than a Retul type fitter who's done a two day course

Sorry just to be clear, is that top tubes or effective top tube lengths that you ride at 54 cm?

Because it's important to get the right understanding of sizing!

Top Bottom