Frame Size

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TonyB1966

Hi, I'm just getting back into cycling for both health benefits & leisure. I'm 5' 9" and have bought a 23 inch frame Raleigh Helion 2. I've now read a lot that would suggest that this size of bike is too big for me! I am perfectly comfortable riding it & although admittedly there is little, if any standover space if I put both feet down flat, I have had no problem stopping & leaning the bike over ever so slightly. This in fact seems more natural to me to have one foot down & one on the pedal ready to go. Have I made a big mistake buying this bike? Thanks, Tony.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Not really an expert in MTB sizing but going by your height I imagine you're about a 31" inseam?
You got the large size (23") when I think the medium might have been a better fit but if your comfortable on it why not. I always like a bike yo be on the large size rather than the other way about. The top tube slopes so that helps your stand over.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Can I ask who advised you on size? This is size XL, 2 sizes too big!
That is a large bike for someone who would be more suited to a 17" mountain bike. If you slip of the saddle it's not going to be pleasant!
I don't know if you have ridden the bike for any length of time but you will be over reaching and this will be uncomfortable and most probably cause you both shoulder and neck pain.
I'm 5ft 8" and ride both a 16" & 17" mountain bike, I wouldn't want to ride any bigger.

Last edited:

Trigger369

Über Member
I bought my carrera hybrid from Halfords just because of the price and only starting back to cycling . I myself am 5,9 and I had asked the 2 boys in Halfords for there advise on size and they hadn't a clue . Just jump on there and see they said . We had made the decision on a 19inch frame .very little to no room between the legs while standing .took it home and had a go round the streets . Guess what sore plums. Straight on the phone to Halfords to return it for a 17 inch frame and they did no problems . 17 inch and haven't had a problem .

al-fresco

Growing older but not up...
It's probably a bit too big. If you're planning to ride it off road it might be a lot too big. The difficulty with frame sizes is that different manufacturers measure different things. Most measure the seat tube but they might measure from the bottom bracket to the top of the seat tube, to the top of the top tube or to the centre of the top tube. They may measure to a 'virtual' tube that doesn't exist. Salsa measure the top tube. So I have a 50cm Surly, a 52cm Spa and a 55cm Salsa - all of them perfectly comfortable for 100+ mile rides.

Top Bottom