Frame Terminology

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ren531

Über Member
Anyone know where/how the naming of parts of a cycle frame came from ,what I am interested in is the term "stay" as in seat stay and chain stay ,could it have come from the maritime world being as the bicycle came into being at a time when huge sailing ships ruled the waves the term "stay" is used in the standing rigging ,as in backstay, forstay and are used to support the mast forming a similar shape and function to the chain stays and seat stays on a bicycle ,or is it perhaps just a general engineering term ,I would love to think our fantastic 2 wheeled machines had some forgotten past link to these incredible magnificent shining examples of craftmanship ,efficiency and beauty .

The term ‘stay’ comes from the French word ‘estayer’ meaning ‘to support’, because that’s what they do. It’s the same for bikes, and ships.

sleuthey

Legendary Member
How about bottom bracket - I mean, it's hardly a bracket is it? Bottom bearing I could understand. On recumbents they still call it a bottom bracket, even though it's way out in front. Funny old world.

According to Wikipedia:

The term "bracket" refers to the tube fittings that are used to hold frame tubes together in lugged steel frames[1] which also form the shell that contains the spindle and bearings; the term is now used for all frames, bracketed or not.

Top Bottom