Frame too large

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Certainly not too big, a bit small if anything. The saddle needs to come up a little so your leg is straight sitting on the saddle with your foot a six o’clock on the cranks. I’d be willing to bet a new saddle would sort your problem.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Stand with the bike between your legs. Flat foot on the floor, feet shoulder width apart. The top tube should be brushing your nether regions or close. The bike looks fine for you.

Picking a saddle is the trick. I would suggest a Sella with a cutout in the middle. But go to a bike shop and get measured and tell them the problem and be advised.

OP
OP
NickTB

NickTB

Veteran
Thanks for all of your replies so far. I’ve now flipped the stem and raised the saddle (much to my surprise) and it’s improved already. Some more tweaks and I’ll be there I think.
with regard to my LBS it’s yellow jersey in Billericay. They’re not offering bike fits or even much in the way of advice as the current situation is understandably slamming them. I’ll continue to fiddle and look at alternative saddles in the meantime

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Don't get caught thinking you need a bike fit @NickTB
Just minor adjustment's s you go along but give each change enough time / miles to test
Saddle's are a very personal thing i use Selle smp's and can't praise them enough the uk distributor's Dilglove do loan saddles so might be worth reaching out to them and ask for advice re which one to choose .
Have a look here https://www.sellesmp.com/en/techarea.html

ChrisEyles

Guru
Definitely not too big a bike for you, should be possible to get it nice and comfy by 1) finding a stem length & rise that works for you 2) a bit of conditioning. No need to give up on the bike just yet!

FWIW if I've been off the bike over winter, which has happened a few years, the first few longer rides I do in Spring I find my bike horribly uncomfortable. After a month or so of riding more regularly your body does get used to it and it becomes more comfortable/natural feeling.

It's very satisfying when you finally get your bike set-up just right. Took me about three years of almost daily riding on one of my bikes (ended up getting an in-line seat post as I didn't get on with the slack seat tube angle), but with a bit of experience you can usually get there or there abouts in a single session.

mrcunning

Über Member

gmw492

Veteran
The numbness is most likely to come from the saddle, it might be putting pressure on the wrong areas and it could also be at the wrong angle.
I'd try tilting the saddle forward (nose down) by a few degrees at a time, then I'd be trying a new saddle if that didn't work. Selle Italia gel cut outs tend to work well for men who are getting numbness (with the caveat that no saddle is ideal for everyone).

Bear in mind that road bikes can also feel uncomfortable if you're lacking in a bit of bike fitness just yet, time in the saddle improves that. When I have had a long break, the first few rides can sometimes feel like I'm stretching, and I'll get a bit of shoulder and neck pain, but it soon goes away.

The frame doesn't look to big for you at all.
I did exactly this and made my new bike a more comfortable ride , I tilted my seat forward slightly it did have a different saddle and was great compared to my old Specialized Tarmac saddle , I still use that Specialized on the Smart trainer and it still is a harsh ride I really should change it after all these years :ohmy:

Landsurfer

Veteran
The frame is not too big .... your the same build as me ... with your bars so low compared to your seat you will be uncomfortable as your tummy is pressed against your pelvis ... i'm being subtle here ...
My stem is level with my seat for this very reason, although how to raise your stem, as the head tube is too short for any further raising,

i'm unsure ... But the pool of good advice this site provides will come up with an answer i'm sure..

Last edited:

Kajjal

Guru
A quick way to look at it is the saddle position is purely to get your legs in the right position too high and you don’t sit properly on the saddle, rocking as you over stretch to the pedals. Too low is less of a problem. The aim is to feel inside the bike rather than perched on it like a penny farthing. The bar position is whatever feels right to you. If you sit on the saddle and naturally lean forward with arms a little bent this will give a good guide to where the bar should be. Try this with the bar, hoods and drops. My first road bike had too long reach stem and bars giving a superman position. Newest bike has shorter stem and shorter drop bars which for my riding is much better. Saddles are also personal choice. Any pain tends to highlight the problem. In my case being very tall I need wider saddles with a good cutaway, you can measure your sitbones to get a rough idea. Too small a saddle gives the James bond on the chair with the rope experience, good luck and take your time.

jay clock

Massive member
I would add my comment that it doesn't look too big. Also you said the saddle was at it's lowest but guessing where it is from the pics it looks to be a good few inches above the minumum

And +1 for Charge Spoon. very popular and you will resell easily if no good

Venod

Eh up
Charge Spoon seem to suit a lot of bums, I find them comfortable, a good starting point, Madison Flux is the same saddle.

Have you set the sadle fore/aft ? with the pedals horizontal a vertical line through the knee joint should be roughly through the pedal spindle.

Top Bottom