Framebuilder Frames

If you've a Custom Frame

• Did you specify the 'angles'

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Or - get 'measured up'

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave5N

Über Member
Get measured. A decent framebuilder will do better than you at getting your frame to fit your size and purpose.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
My custom was made for me - went in on current bike and he measured up from there, although I did use Bernard Hinaults book to set up saddle height, saddle set back etc. My off the peg Ribble is set up the same as the Herety, allowing for a few geometry differences - the Ribble has a shorter wheel base and I think slightly different geometry.

e-rider

crappy member
Yes, clearly both. You can get measured-up and then specify the angles depending on the riding you want to do.

In my experience, made-to-measure frames often come out a bit on the small size by a cm or so. Maybe that's just my opinion, however I've seen an increasing trend of people buying bikes that are too small and then buying a larger size 6 months later (although beginners also like to buy large frames too..... really large!!!)

Probably some confusion over compact geometry and horizontal toptube small frame sizes; and bad sales staff! Buying the correct frame size is a minefield and the best way is achieved by riding lots of bikes over a long period of time - you get to know how long each tube needs to be. Of course, no good for newcomers to the sport.

measured up by someone who had a similar bike. the type of riding it would be used for, etc was all faxed over to the man. The only question that came back was "what colour do you want between the two main ones?". when the bike arrived it fitted like a glove.

llllllll

When I ordered a custom frame, I just e-mailed the builder (Dave Lloyd) told him the geometery on my current bike and how I wanted it changed (plus a few other bits, budget, tubing preference, paint job etc). He offered plenty of advice, but it was all done by E-mail, eventually he phoned to confirm the details and a frame arrived on my doorstep a month or so later. Not sure I'd do it that way again, but the frame fits like a glove, built to an amazing quality and I couldn't be happier with it. Shame he no longer builds frames, otherwise I'd have had another off him by now.

Top Bottom