Frameset suggestions please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bechdan

Im looking to buy a frameset to build up and would appreciate your advice.
Few stipulations - carbon disc frame, 25c tyres

Im 72kg and mostly ride hilly B and A roads, anything from 20 - 100 miles so looking (slightly) more comfort than speed.

Currently looking at the Ribble Endurance SL disc, this is about the top of my budget, ideally would be £900-1200 and will be fitted with Hunt 34 wheels.

https://www.dolan-bikes.com

Lots to choose from with Terry Dolan. All depends on what takes your fancy.
Maybe L'Etape would suit.

Alongo

Guru
Just got a Genesis Zero disc frame recently and am quite impressed with the ride .
B5C002F3-AF50-40F5-8AF9-A649151CE1BA.png

OP
OP
B

Bechdan

Not heard of Genesis before, will explore.

For that price alu?! It's only a frameset I'm after not a complete bike, I've had both materials and prefer the ride of carbon

mattobrien

Guru
My CAAD12 is aluminium and rides very smoothly, you’d probably struggle to tell it from carbon. I have a Kinesis which is also aluminium but a much harder ride, so I think the ride can largely be down to how the frame is designed and built as opposed just to the material. While the CAAD12 has been superseded the CAAD13 is currently and might be worth adding to the research list.

I am fortunate enough to have a good collection of bikes, so can compare my CAAD12 to high end carbon machinery, it punches well above its weight.

si_c

Guru
For that price alu?! It's only a frameset I'm after not a complete bike, I've had both materials and prefer the ride of carbon
Fair enough, but a good alloy frameset is in the range £800-£1200, and I'd argue better than a cheap carbon frame. If you prefer the carbon though thats fine - it's all just personal preference.

I've ridden carbon bikes - big fan of the old Supersix - but all the one's I've bought are top end alloy or steel.

OP
OP
B

Bechdan

My CAAD12 is aluminium and rides very smoothly, you’d probably struggle to tell it from carbon. I have a Kinesis which is also aluminium but a much harder ride, so I think the ride can largely be down to how the frame is designed and built as opposed just to the material. While the CAAD12 has been superseded the CAAD13 is currently and might be worth adding to the research list.

I am fortunate enough to have a good collection of bikes, so can compare my CAAD12 to high end carbon machinery, it punches well above its weight.
Good points, thanks, Ill include that in my search then

si_c

Guru
Good points, thanks, Ill include that in my search then
I think to be fair at the price point you are looking at go for the frameset which you find meets the rest of your criteria best - alloy or carbon - you're unlikely to be disappointed in ride quality. Certainly alloy framesets are competitive weight wise with carbon at that level. Of course once you go to the super light carbon frames it's no competition.

As an aside, any particular reason you want 25c tires specifically - the trend presently is towards 28c especially with higher end wheelsets for the extra comfort you get for no loss in rolling resistance or aerodynamics.

OP
OP
B

Bechdan

That may be the case in lab tests, but I find 25s comfortable on the road. I use 28s in winter and do feel the drag more on climbs. All just personal and anecdotal mind.
Im tubeless so that helps too of course.

si_c

Guru
That may be the case in lab tests, but I find 25s comfortable on the road. I use 28s in winter and do feel the drag more on climbs. All just personal and anecdotal mind.
Im tubeless so that helps too of course.
Yeah tubeless definitely does help. I'm a total convert to 28s though, I can feel the comfort difference between the 28s and 25s on the road with tubes - same wheelset, same tyres, same bike. The difference on hills is likely psychological rather than actual - the weight difference is minimal and tests show that there is no difference in rolling resistance between sizes - or at least no difference at the pressures likely to be ridden (80psi 28 vs 100psi 25).

That being said it's probably worth checking your tires on your rims, one set if wheels I have the tires tend to come up about 2mm wider than the model would suggest.

In my experience the biggest difference between isn't the tires it's the wheels, get a good set of those and it doesn't really matter for the same rubber.

OP
OP
B

Bechdan

Ill be getting Hunt 34 AWD wheels for it

Cannondale dont seem to do framesets only complete bikes unfortunately

ok ill open my mind to mid/high Alu then too, any more suggestions please?
The Dolan Tuono does look like nice spec and good value though

Last edited:
Top Bottom