Frameset suggestions - Singular Peregrine replacment

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
So, on the way back from the pub tonight, I discovered what the creaking noises were when I was on tour in Scotland last week.
There's a crack from the underside point of the head tube/down tube lug, extending about 45% of the way round the down tube on one side, and 25% on the other. Frame entered service Jan 2010, on a 3 year warranty, the Peregrine is no longer available.

So, what do I replace it with?
Requirements are
a) clearance for 40 mm+ tyres with guards
b) disc brakes
c) normal touring-type braze-ons - i.e. racks (rear at least), 2 x bottle, mudguards
d) a hole in the front of the fork crown for a light
e) 135 mm rear dropout spacing
f) preferably a non-tapered steerer (i.e. 1 1/8 top & bottom)

Initial thoughts are a Disc Trucker, but has anyone any other suggestions.
Money isn't much of a constraint, apart from my natural tight fistedness.

Bodhbh

Guru
I replaced mine with a Cotic Roadrat. If you want to run drops, their Escapade is pretty much the same but with a shorter top tube (it might have vertical dropouts and a slightly lower BB too). Slightly pushing it with 40mm tyres + guards maybe tho. You can run 40mm without no problem. Sure their must be quite a few 'gravel bikes' that fit the bill nowadays.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
This might just fit the bill for you, Specialized AWOL. Plenty of braze ons, 40c no prob. You might have to search around for one though. It's been replaced by the Sequoia which has a carbon fork.

IMG_0851.JPG

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
If you love it : Get the cracked tube replaced and have it resprayed
If you don't : Disc Trucker or a Cross Check or maybe something by Genesis?

or

Get a bespoke frame built...

Bodhbh

Guru
As a side note, I may be interested in the Peregrine frame at risk - depending on the size. I'd send it to a framebuilder, and be happy with the resulting rat look rather than bothering to get it resprayed. I regretted selling mine, but it was too big.

OP
OP
andrew_s

andrew_s

Legendary Member
I regretted selling mine, but it was too big.
If yours was too big, mine will be too - it was the largest size when I got it.

A quick glance at the price list at Argos would imply that a repair/respray is at the cheap end of the frameset price range - maybe £350

As for the non-tapered steerer, it would allow the use of the Peregrine fork as a spare or alternative.

Bodhbh

Guru
If yours was too big, mine will be too - it was the largest size when I got it.

A quick glance at the price list at Argos would imply that a repair/respray is at the cheap end of the frameset price range - maybe £350

Okay no problem. I'm trying to build up a tourer for the OH - so I've got one eye on the options. A Kona Sutra is another with clearance for 40mm tyres + guards.

Regarding the Peregrine sizes, from memory they either deleted the biggest size or dropped a cm or so off the TT length as it was absolutely massive. So they did indeed 'shrink'.

OP
OP
andrew_s

andrew_s

Legendary Member
I ended up with a Disc Trucker.

I was tempted by a Shand Stoater, but less so be the extra cost.
The Croix de Fer seemed to be between seasons - the 2017 version wasn't available as a frameset in the size I'd have wanted, at least on a quick search, and 2018 wasn't out yet. I had a similar failure to get a CdF once before - I spotted a 931 stainless version parked round the back of the Hop Pole (after one of Blacksheep's Audax events, presumably), but when I went online to look, there were only small sizes available, and the following year's version was spoiled by a PF30 BB.
I was also tempted by a Rodeo Labs Flaanimal, but again, not currently available in the right size.

I had originally intended to just transfer all the bits off the Peregrine, but it ended up a bit more of a rebuild than that.
The original chainset, a TA Zephyr, turned out to have one of its bolt holes broken off, so that had to be swapped.
I swapped the BB7 Road for BB7 Mtn, the front disc from 160 to 185, the brake levers to Tektro RL520, new chainrings, chain, cassette, new Ultegra bar end shifters (the old ones being knackered), new headset, new BB, new mudguards, new cables, new bar tape.
I've kept the wheels, handlebars, seatpost & saddle, RL721 interrupter levers, front and rear mechs (not counting the jockey wheels), and front light.
The rear rack (Tubus Cargo) and rear light (toplight line) came off a different bike - the rack on the Peregrine was a 24" wheel rack, the lower braze-ons on the Peregrine being up above the seatstay-mounted disc brake.

The RL721 interrupter (crosstop) levers are road pull and don't work too well, so they will need to be swapped for RL741.
It's currently got a Look Ergostem on whilst I fiddle with positions, but that will get swapped out in due course.

Top Bottom