France, Belgium, Netherlands - is this a good route for a cycle tour? thanks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RobCyclist

Hi,

This month I'm planning on doing; London, Canterbury, Dover. [France] Calais, Lille, [Belgium] Tournai, Mons, Charleroi, Namur, Liege, [NL] Maastricht and maybe Aachen Germany.

This is the route I've planned. http://cycle.travel/map/journey/41546

Do you think it would be good tour ? If anyone has cycled any of this I would be interested to hear. And if anyone has any recommendations on things to see or recommend a different route I'd also be interested.... as I'd rather cycle something enjoyable. It would be my first time visiting all these european cities... and i like seeing new places.

A flat cycle trip is important to me, as I have a damaged nerve in my leg. I like the idea of cycling in four countries... I cycled France Belgiuim Netherlands and germany last year (Dunqirk, Brugges, Ghent, Brussels, Leuven, Roermond, Dusseldorf) and really enjoyed. So want to do the same but with different cities.

Any opinions?
cheers
Rob

Last edited:

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Personally I'd skip Lille. The whole Lille/Roubaix/Tourcoing area is one big grim conurbation with (IMHO) little to commend it, so I'd head through Belgium instead. I also remember Charleroi as being a bit like Teesside (chemical works abound), though I guess I can see why you opted to include it, as it lets you follow the Meuse all the way to Liege. I like the stretch of the Meuse running from Namur southwards to Dinant via Yvoir and onwards to France, so hopefully the stretch running eastwards from Namur to Liege might be just as nice. Good luck with your trip.

damj

I can really see your particular route but I'm assuming you are taking the route from Calais to Saint Omer and beyond. I did this route in September 16, on my way to Arras. An absolutely brilliant experience. I will warn you it can get a little hilly in parts, however, this could have just been me and the route I took. When are you going?

OP
OP
R

RobCyclist

Personally I'd skip Lille. The whole Lille/Roubaix/Tourcoing area is one big grim conurbation with (IMHO) little to commend it, so I'd head through Belgium instead. I also remember Charleroi as being a bit like Teesside (chemical works abound), though I guess I can see why you opted to include it, as it lets you follow the Meuse all the way to Liege. I like the stretch of the Meuse running from Namur southwards to Dinant via Yvoir and onwards to France, so hopefully the stretch running eastwards from Namur to Liege might be just as nice. Good luck with your trip.

Thanks man. I looked into the River meuse and the views look really nice going south. So I'm thinking of changing my trip actually. Instead; I will follow the river to the end. Namur to charleville mezieres. Then possibly Charleville - Luxembourg (but the hills are sort of putting me off). Not sure

Last edited:

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Thanks man. I looked into the River meuse and the views look really nice going south. So I'm thinking of changing my trip actually. Instead; I will follow the river to the end. Namur to charleville mezieres. Then possibly Charleville - Luxembourg (but the hills are sort of putting me off). Not sure
It is a nice stretch of river. Watch out for the free range geese at Yvoir. The birds are not a problem, but you don't want to slide in the goose crap all over the path! Great view to be had along that stretch of the Meuse.

Top Bottom