France in April

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mcr

Veteran
I've had the offer of a lift for me and my bike down to the Limousin (and back if I need it) around Easter time - ideally after the holiday weekend itself. I've never experienced cycling in France that early in the season, so I was wondering if anyone has any advice on where best to go for a week or so's touring that in a 'normal' year is unlikely to be too cold/wet weatherwise. Depending on terrain I usually manage 70-100km per day. I've ruled out the Auvergne volcano region for being too high and potentially still wintry at that time.

Options I've come up with so far include:

• Week's loop from sw of Limoges down to the Dordogne and back
  • Head off down the Charente to the coast, La Rochelle etc and get picked up on the way back further north
  • Get dropped off to do a loop around the Loire region (Rough Guide suggests it's prone to cold Aprils, though)
  • Cycle home from, say, Tours, via Chartres & Dieppe/Newhaven (new ferry timetable's pants, though)
  • Cycle from Tours to Reims (probable stopping-off point for the friend giving me the lift on his way home) via Sancerre and northern Burgundy (anyone see a theme here...?)

Not sure yet whether to try out cycle-camping for the first time. I've only credit-card-toured up to now, and I do like travelling light, but with the Euro/£ as it is...

Any further ideas gratefully received.

Matthew

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Don't say the Loire is cold in April...I'm touring there in March!! I think the crux of it is that you'd have no idea about the weather, it could be scorching or it could be freezing, so assume it'll be wet and cold and you'll get a nice surprise. I think you'd be more likely to get warm weather further south, so if the sun is important...head south.

I LOVE the Charente, having worked there for a few summers as a student. It's very flat though. I'd personally do the Dordogne I think, out of those options.

And I LOVE the theme :evil:

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I've camped at Le Mans for the 24hr motorcycle races for several years. The dates varied from mid March to mid April. The weather varied from freezing cold with frost on the tents in the mornings to 24 hour t-shirt weather.

There's no guarantee of what you might expect - certainly in northern France.

If you have a decent sleeping bag and tent, the temperature shouldn't spoil things.

andym

Über Member
vernon said:
If you have a decent sleeping bag and tent, the temperature shouldn't spoil things.

...and you'll still have the option of bailing out and going to a hotel.

Simalar experience, we were in the Loire valley in April 2007 and had frost on the tent one morning. We then had 2 weeks of beautiful sunny conditions, riding in t shirts and shorts every day.
Still better to be there than here! Love France.
Go for it, you are sure to have a great time.
Good luck.

OP
OP
mcr

mcr

Veteran
I know - especially these days - to expect anything from the weather at any time of year, but thanks for the encouragement. I'm beginning to think, though, that heading as far south as I can (ie Dordogne, maybe even down to the Lot) might be the most reliable option!

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I think you're right but even then there's no guarantee. I'm assuming that next month's Loire trip will be wet and cold...and am secretly hoping for vest tops, shorts and tan marks :blush:

In any case, baguette, fromage, vin and pains au chocolate washed down with un grand creme will make any weather glorious!!

ronmac

I'm doing my first bicycle tour in first 2 weeks in April. I'm going to North of France, i.e. roughly Dieppe, Somme, Paris, Dieppe. I've chosen to camp but appreciate it could be either a late winter or an early spring. Whatever, it will be an adventure and a great experience, I'm prepared to rough it a bit, so can't wait. I'm sure you feel the same, mcr. Ron.

yello

I'm 100km north of Limoges. Last Easter, we had miserable weather! Grey, cold and wet. I didn't want to walk in it let alone ride!

Very roughly speaking, east of Limoges gets hilly and hillier. West, out to the Charente, is flatter. Across to the Atlantic coast could be a relatively simple run (and you could even cross Dordogneshire too!) and have a bit of a pootle up the coast. It COULD be an excellent trip if the weather's good. A week might be a bit tight though.

The return home north is option too. Personally, I'd probably just aim for Paris and give myself time too have a nosey around the Loire. But obviously the weather is less reliable that time of year.

Bonkersfrog

Hi there, we run Cycling Holidays in the Limousin and near us we know of a fantastic route called the Tour de la Creuse. We have a route book of a 6 day tour. which you can get from the local tourist offices. The route skirts around the outside of the Creuse Department.

Weather wise - our experience has been anything from snow to 20 degrees at Easter time!! The roads are good quality and quiet, with fantastic scenery. A lot of the roads were resurfaced for the Tour de France last year.

Plenty of B&Bs if you dont fancy camping every night. We can even do you a good rate for B&B!

Although this area is not mountainous the hills will give your legs a good workout.

Regards
Andy

asterix

Comrade Member
Last year in early March I arrived 40km S of Limoges in a blizzard

DSCF0456.jpg

and as Yello says, it wasn't a great spring. This year I arrived a little later (29th) and it's been cold but dry and sunny. The 10 day forecast is was very encouraging:tongue:

Top Bottom