Fred James road bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bodhbh

Guru
A friend of the old man was having a clear out very generously donated this after hearing I was 'into cycling' and would get good use out of it (I will !). I know nothing about vintage bikes and very little about road bikes. Can anyone tell me anything about the above - in terms of age or worth, or just any opinions of refurbing it?

WestLindsey-20130615-00243_zpsc26aee67.jpg

WestLindsey-20130615-00242_zps07dd0ce8.jpg

The bike appears to be in good nick apart from some rust flecks on the chrome/paint and a popped spoke in the rear wheel. As I see it, I have a spare tan Brooks and new seatpost, some Nitto Randonneur bars, and Tektro brake levers. I'll probably swap these in and otherwise leave it for now, bar changing the cables/outers. The wheel situation I'm not sure of yet.

fossala

Guru
I don't know the maker/worth but nice lugwork and chrome!

OP
OP
Bodhbh

Bodhbh

Guru
I don't know the maker/worth but nice lugwork and chrome!

It's James Cycles in Alford Lincolnshire. I've googled them and they're still going. I'm debating emailing them and asking them the vintage (but as I'm not gonna spend money at the shop seems a cheek).

fossala

Guru
It's James Cycles in Alford Lincolnshire. I've googled them and they're still going. I'm debating emailing them and asking them the vintage (but as I'm not gonna spend money at the shop seems a cheek).
Why, most will help.

EDIT: With chromed bikes you should really look at the condition of the chrome as rechroming is very very expensive.

OP
OP
Bodhbh

Bodhbh

Guru
Why, most will help.

EDIT: With chromed bikes you should really look at the condition of the chrome as rechroming is very very expensive.

Suppose the worst they is ignore me - given it a go. I'll update as fit and hopefully the thread will turn into a regular 'project' thread with photos (first one of this kind !)

fossala

Guru
Suppose the worst they is ignore me - given it a go. I'll update as fit and hopefully the thread will turn into a regular 'project' thread with photos (first one of this kind !)
From a quick "google". It looks like they are OEM 531 frames. The shop bought them in made for them. Or so Hillary Stone says.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
that looks great and must have looked amazing when new

Why, most will help.

some people get good results using baking foil when cleaning old chrome ??

OP
OP
Bodhbh

Bodhbh

Guru
that looks great and must have looked amazing when new
some people get good results using baking foil when cleaning old chrome ??

Well I have no practical experience of it, but googling a bit, the method I'm favouring for cleaning it up is oxalic acid - which is sold as wood bleach as well as rust remover. It's supposedly takes off the rust and leaves the chrome and steel. I have to say I'm not a big fan of the current salmon paint job and will look at some way of having the paint redone while leaving the chrome intact.

OP
OP
Bodhbh

Bodhbh

Guru
No reply from James Cycles, I'll give em a call. Work is delayed atm, as the bike is 200miles away at the parents and it'll be a while till I'm back up.

Top Bottom