England : Cumbria Fred Whitton Challenge 2021

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
..Fred Whitton Challenge
Not for me, now, but a couple of friends are booked in on this on 19th September (assuming in goes ahead)
Starting at Grasmere and taking in climbs of Kirkstone, Honister, Newlands, Whinlatter, Hardknott, Wrynose and Blea Tarn passes. 113 miles.

Last edited:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I'm in. Looking forward to this one.

OP
OP
PeteXXX

PeteXXX

A mates certificate.. Not sure what times the other chaps did, but it was + an hour or so!

I think they're still recovering 😅

Attachments

• _20210920_082450.JPG
    _20210920_082450.JPG
    91.1 KB · Views: 6

PaulSB

Legendary Member
That must be an official time rather than a ride time. Either way it's damn good. I got a ride time of 9:08:57. At 82 miles my average was 13 but dropped to 12.5 in the last 32 miles. I'd hoped for sub 9 hours but Hardknott beat me. A decent time there and I would have been sub 9 hours.

I got up Hardknott but way off my best time which is 22 minutes, yesterday I took 33. After 90+ miles getting up and not falling off was the achievement.

It's a fantastic ride. It's all doable and I felt comfortable but Hardknott was awful. Getting up is hardest thing I've ever done on a bike.

OP
OP
PeteXXX

PeteXXX

I couldn't do it now.. Maybe a few years ago!
Well done @PaulSB Tough riding by any standards!

_20210920_224026.JPG

Here's a mate's Strava. The extra miles (and maybe bumping up the average speed a tad) was to and from the digs.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
@PeteXXX thank you. I did feel very pleased, emotional really, at having got round. In the two weeks leading up to the event I was full of nerves and self-doubt. What took me by surprise is how good a ride it is. I ride in the Lakes a couple of times a year so know how good the riding is and have previously ridden all the climbs bar Kirkstone and Whinlater. Many friends have ridden the Fred but they only ever talk about how hard it is and never what a stunning route the Fred Whitton is. Glorious riding and given it's in the Lakes the mountains are simply a part of enjoying this beautiful ride.

I thought this OK for a 67 year old pensioner!

Lookrider

A special thanks to the organisers and volunteers all round the route attending to safety of the riders during the dreadful weather at times
Thanks to tbe team of volunteers half way down wynrose where my front rim overheated "blew" up buckled and lost a spoke
There happened to be another guy with same issue at this point..his expensive hunt wheel was littlery disintegrated
The volunteer Marshall's arranged via radio and with the help of mou tain rescue two replacement front wheels were delivered to get us on our way and around the course
Many thanks to them
Because of this years late event and next years regular date . .I feel half fit already and less time inbetween to overindulge in beer wine n curry ....(might get a podium finish )

Broadside

Guru
I thought this OK for a 67 year old pensioner!

I would say it’s more than ok! I’m late 40’s myself and rode up Hardknott and Wrynose earlier this year as we were staying nearby, I am in awe of people that do the ‘full Fred’!

It’s on the list to do another year and as you say the scenery around there is something else, that bit of it is a real treat.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
A special thanks to the organisers and volunteers all round the route attending to safety of the riders during the dreadful weather at times
Thanks to tbe team of volunteers half way down wynrose where my front rim overheated "blew" up buckled and lost a spoke
There happened to be another guy with same issue at this point..his expensive hunt wheel was littlery disintegrated
The volunteer Marshall's arranged via radio and with the help of mou tain rescue two replacement front wheels were delivered to get us on our way and around the course
Many thanks to them
Because of this years late event and next years regular date . .I feel half fit already and less time inbetween to overindulge in beer wine n curry ....(might get a podium finish )

I think I must have seen you as I descended. Definitely saw some mountain rescue guys helping out a cyclist.

I saw quite a few folk fixing punctures on the course. One within the first five miles!!!!

Lookrider

By the way
Does anyone have any experience of attempting to get shimamo to repair a blown out and buckled wheel
The wheel is a C35 durace carbon tubekess ...it us around 7-8 years old however it was not abused ...i was breaking hard all way down..just like your meant to and just what the rim's are built for I guess
They should not fail due to hard breaking
Thanks gents

By the way
Does anyone have any experience of attempting to get shimamo to repair a blown out and buckled wheel
The wheel is a C35 durace carbon tubekess ...it us around 7-8 years old however it was not abused ...i was breaking hard all way down..just like your meant to and just what the rim's are built for I guess
They should not fail due to hard breaking
Thanks gents
That's exactly what you'd do if you want to overheat the rim and blow the tyre ?
What PSI were you running and what tyre width ?

Maybe something like 80 PSI then depending on your weight ? If you don't know the pressure - how do you know it was within the limits ?

Lookrider

I was away from home regarding stating tyre pressure ...at home now
My floor pump says around 6.2b
Within the recommended settings

Thanks for your help but to keep the post on track ...can you answer if you have had any experience in sending wheels back to shimamo
If your answer is yes then your advice will be very valuable and vastly appreciated
If your answer is no ..you have never sent wheels back to shimamo
Then with all politeness to you I would rather not keep posting about various other things
You do seem to imply that I should expect wheels to overheat/fail by braking all the way down a very steep and technical descent
I didn't really want to attempt a slow down by not utilising brakes but crashing instead and using bike and body to slow down
Thanks again to all that took part
Thanks again

Top Bottom