Fred Whitton Challenge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ash68

got my entry in. You trying for a place BJB?

ash68

sorry to hear that BJB, are you doing any other sportives this year? Pity it's a bit of a lottery getting into the FRW. Just hope everyone who has got in turns up on the day, or else it's hardly fair on those who were unlucky.

ash68

bad news BJb looking on the site looks like that ones full as well.;)
See richmond cycling club do one in May if that's any help. The Northern rock cyclone 100 mile ride in June is pretty good, did that last year.Trying the white rose classic this year as well in Yorkshire. Seems to get good reports for last year.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Rab said:
I missed out on this one again! Two years I have applied and not got in :sad:

Next year I will drive down to the house and deliver my entry ;)

I heard that 600 folks did that on the first morning. That's probably why my entry didn't get there in time (first class post can't beat hand delivered :biggrin: ).

I rode last year. It's a really good event with crowds on the summit of Whinlatter cheering evryone on. I wouldn't say it's the toughest of the rides tho'. Only 4 Steep climbs, two of which are fairly short. Hardknott is the toughest. The rest of the route it is fairly easy.

ash68

well i got round in one piece thankfully. Suffered with the heat and eventually to cramps on the top section of hairpins on Hardknott.Had to stop and stretch to get my legs working again. Walked a couple of bends til it got less steep and then continued on the climb. A bit dissapointed I wasn't good enough to get up without walking a section, but well I was in good company there. Did it in 7 hrs 45 mins. My target was around 8 hrs without walking , so have mixed feelings really. But an excellent event and would definatly like to get in next year to try and improve on this years effort.Well done to all who took part on a scorching hot day, and thanks to all the marshalls, helpers ans road supporters, it made for a great day.

nic

Renard said:
Anyone who did this recovered enough yet to tell us how they got on? :smile:

Recovered. Quicker recovery than expected given the cramps experienced. Not a bad day now the worst memories are fading away. An improvement of last year's time by a little more than 30'. I can't complain.

I saw one chap wearing a cyclechat jersey on Honister. I was the one wearing a red and white Lune top. I was having short stop to get some drink and enjoying the views. Hello again :-)

ash68

Hi Nic, were you on that wall on the right hand side with two other lads?Afraid I had tunnel vision on honister as i was stuck in my own little world of suffering.lol

nic

Hi Ash,

I was on the left hand side of the road on my own. It was starting to get pretty warm on Honister, wasn't it?

Nic

Top Bottom