Free cycling lessons -Manchester.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

potsy

Rambler
Move to get more workers to saddle up safely

Mike Keegan
June 22, 2010
Share Article| Submit Comments | Comments (12) | Printable Version Previous | Next

1/1 Play Slideshow
Keeping people safe on the city’s busy roads is the aim of a series of free cycling lessons being launched in Manchester today.
Town hall chiefs will offer sessions to up to 300 people over the next year in a bid to tempt more commuters to ditch their cars and saddle up.
They say the lessons will be aimed at those who want to start cycling to work but feel nervous about riding along busy city streets.
And those who are interested do not even need to own a bike to take part.
If they register for the sessions, they will be given a bicycle to use for the duration of the training.
Each group will be a maximum of six and all levels of cyclists will be catered for.
Advice will be centred around dealing with busy junctions and staying safe while travelling to work.
The courses come as Albert Square hosts Bring Your Bike To Work Day.
Today experts were handing out free advice and offering to carry out bike maintenance. Demonstrations of cycling skills were taking place throughout the day and anyone who rode in before 10am was treated to a free breakfast.
Officials say there will also be organised rides through the week, including the Mersey Valley Ride, which leaves Chorlton Water Park on June 27.
Coun Nigel Murphy hopes the lessons will give commuters the confidence they need to leave their cars at home and start cycling to work.
He explained: “Cycling is a great way of keeping fit, is excellent for the environment and, more importantly, it’s fun.
“There’s a lot of people who are nervous about cycling through busy city streets, and these free lessons, along with events taking place during Bike Week, should give those people the confidence they need to get on the saddle.”
Bike Week is a part of the Manchester: Be Proud programme, which is aimed at encouraging people to care about their environment, enjoy the city’s outdoor places and take pride in their communities.
For more information about Bike Week events, email bikeweek@manchester.gov.uk
Anyone interested in receiving the free training should contact Dave Whyte on 0161 234 3394 or d.whyte@manchester.gov.uk.

1st comment goes like this-

STRETFORDIAN, TRAFFORD (22/06/2010 at 11:02)
talk about wasting money!!!!once these people get their badge and tights they will become the all to common ingnorant non paying road abuser,riding outside cycle lanes,pulling out without looking,swerving through traffic,bashiing car mirrors and wanting to take their bike on the tram!!!!WHY OH WHY??????
Please let us know the reason you find the above comment inappropriate.
Reason: Sending

Armegatron

http://menmedia.co.uk/news/s/1260059_move_to_get_more_workers_to_saddle_up_safely

Link to article - I couldnt seem to find it in your post potsy

StuartG

slower but further
My local authority (Lewisham) does a free 2 hour one-to-one lesson aimed at helping you on your favourite route. Also a free day maintenance course.

Contact the cycling officer.

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
StuartG said:
My local authority (Lewisham) does a free 2 hour one-to-one lesson aimed at helping you on your favourite route. Also a free day maintenance course.

Contact the cycling officer.

Most London councils offer free Bikeability lessons for adults as well as the usual school lessons.

Armegatron

mr_cellophane said:
Most London councils offer free Bikeability lessons for adults as well as the usual school lessons.

Im thinking of doing one of these myself, just for the paper at the end. I figure that if the worst were to happen to me it would be a valid point that I was "trained". Also it might chill the mrs out and stop her worrying :biggrin:

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
IMO comments like that are deliberate trolling and designed to cause conflict. If I see those on any of the newsites I frequent then I flag them and most moderators/admin peeps will remove it within 24 hours.

I'm sure the instructors want to be seen as promoters of illegal behaviour, and I wonder if this is libellous in someway to post that nonsense about them? ;)

My advice. Flag it.

mr_cellophane said:

Aye I was going to say the same (this is sometimes available with non-London councils).

Though then I realised this is regarding the comments etc.

400bhp

Guru
I think there was a meet for this at Jacksons Boat at Sale Water Park on Thurs evening. There were a few cyclists milling around whilst I was fixing a puncture. I was talking to one of them who started to mention something about cycling week, but he then got distracted by another rider and I carried on fixing my puncture.

Top Bottom