'free' DIY mapholder - how to.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mike-L

Although I have GPS on my Crackberry to track my rides, its by no means a usable nav. system, and buying one is not really a priority for me.

As I returned to my bike over the summer got fed up of carrying googlemap printouts around and getting them out of a pocket every few miles, so I had to come up with a solution.

And a pretty simple one this is
  • free
  • extremely light
  • no wind resistance
A bit Heath Robinson, but hope its of use to some of you. Inspired by Crud's approach to the road bike mudguard!

Copy of IMG_2688.JPG

This is for a classic Cinelli one peice alloy stem, but should work or could be modified for most types.

What do you need?

1. a flexible plastic CD cover (often come with a new PC or hardware driver)
  2. a thin peice of plastic (mine came from a 2l ice cream tub)
  3. 4 rubber bands.
  4. your map (I tend to use google - but what-have-you)
IMG_2694.JPG

Cut the plastic and cover to size - you can see I needed to cut space for my computer.
Have the opening and flap of the cover face towards you.
Fold the overhanging parts of any cut-out of the cover in under the plastic, so it remains pretty waterproof.
Cut a strip of plastic and bend it back to wedge under the right handlebar - this keeps the map flat. If you don't have a computer in the way you may need to do this on both sides, and you will end up with a bigger space for the map.

IMG_2696.JPG

Insert the plastic into the CD cover. Wrap the laggy bands around it. Cut small notches into the sides of the cover to help position them.

Insert your map. I can usually get a 50-60 circular route on to 1 map. for a linear ride, just fold the map over - its easy to slip out, flip and slip back in. I've done this with 4 map sections - 8 sides without needing to stop to swop them over.

IMG_2697.JPG

To fit, simply wrap the laggy bands around your stem a couple of times to get decent tension, and then back around the holder.
And Bob is your near relation.

If it flaps in the wind, simply add an extra wrap of the bands.

When climbing a steep hill out of the saddle I sometimes brush against it, but because its very flexible and lightly attached it just snaps back into position.

Top Bottom