Free hub help pls

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Vaughan

Newbie here and would appreciate any help.

Have a 2008 carrera krakken Ltd edition MTB. It's done about 15,000 mils now and the freehub is now shot - don't think it owes me :sad:

I have the labour warranty with Halfords who have pulled it apart but cant tell me part no.

they tell me it has GL stamped on it and is threaded rather than the slot variety. It is a 9 speed cassette.

Can anyone tell me the part I need ???

Many thx

Probably some cheap Chinese stuff like this lot

http://guli.en.alibaba.com/product/272429604-0/GL_A19_Mountain_bike_hubs.html

You might be better off getting a new/second hand rear wheel.

AlanW

Guru
Vaughan said:
Have a 2008 carrera krakken Ltd edition MTB.

I have the labour warranty with Halfords who have pulled it apart but cant tell me part no.

they tell me it has GL stamped on it and is threaded rather than the slot variety. It is a 9 speed cassette.

Can anyone tell me the part I need ???

Many thx

I thought that Carrera was a Halfords branded product? If so, suerly they should know............:sad:

What hubs are they, or what make of cassette is fitted to it?

I am guessing but I would suspect that a normal 9sp Shimano freehub would fit?

However, this might help you The info you want is towards the bottom of the article.

I looked around a bit more and found one similar plea to yours dated 2006 (forgot the forum it was on) - they had an identical problem (under warranty) but Halfords couldn't source a replacement and ended up replacing the hub with a Shimano.

OP
OP
V

Vaughan

Wow ! what a great forum. I can't believe how many responses in the timescale.

I went to Halords today to look at the part. The freehub body that I need to replace is slotted on the outside and does have an allen key bolt inside to tighten. The 'threaded' piece is on the end of the hub and sticks out about 7mm.

It looks like this http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Shimano_C201~RM40_8_Speed_Freehub_Body/5300006088/
(but for a 9 speed), however has the thread on the bottom.

Yashicamat - it's a fair bit of mileage, I use it to commute to London and found a cheap mtb more durable than an expensive road bike (bumping up kerbs etc). A great way to keep fit and saves a fortune in petrol ;)

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
Its not the solution you've asked for but you could buy a brand new Shimano LX hub wheel from Merlin Cycles for £35. You'll never get this problem again as you'll be able get Shimano hub spares anywhere

I think it's the same as a lot of Chinese produced goods - they are so cheaply produced that they don't bother with spares. I've had to dump a perfectly good hedge trimmer for want of a cheap plastic cog (10p) because of this.

I'd do as SA suggests as the bearings and cones will probably badly worn on the old wheel anyway.

OP
OP
V

Vaughan

quck update, the part is a shimano M570 freehub @ £26 from Madisons.

Thx to all for their help, it really is appreciated

Top Bottom