Freehub Body Replacement

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

paulhoff

Hi, pretty new to bike maintenance but thought I would have a go at changing the freehub body on my fulcrum Quattro wheels, after I got this diagnosed as the issue by Halfords (who wanted a small fortune to do the job). I’ve removed the Freehub body ok but am wanting to check if I can use any other Freehub to replace this or if it needs to be this same model which I believe is a RS-113 HG. if so any suggestions? thanks 🙏🏻

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Why not stick with the standard replacement? Price perhaps? Around £50.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Last time I did this (I found a crack in my freehub) I did a bit of research and things got confusing. So I stuck with exactly with what I had before.

The risk would be that you install something that's not compatible with your cassette. The benefit would be that you might find something a bit cheaper.

Last edited:

Big John

Guru
That's one expensive freehub. I've changed quite a few freehubs over the years but I've only changed like-for-like. If it was me I'd just get the recommended one but I'd shop around to get the best deal. If you have a local bike charity it would be worth asking them if they have a Fulcrum wheel knocking around. You'd have to buy the wheel to get the freehub but our place charges about £30 for a quality wheel, which will be cheaper than ordering a new freehub online.

kipster

Guru
What's wrong with the freehub? If it's bearings, they can be changed. I've replaced a few on campagnolo freehubs which are exactly the same as fulcrum (being the same company).

Big John

Guru
What's wrong with the freehub? If it's bearings, they can be changed. I've replaced a few on campagnolo freehubs which are exactly the same as fulcrum (being the same company).
The OP states he's 'pretty new to bike maintenance'. I've also replaced bearings in a freehub and it's a fiddly job if you're not overly familiar with bike mechanics. I personally wouldn't recommend this route even though it's a valid solution if you know what you're doing. However, if the OP chooses this option I wish them every success 👍

kipster

Guru
If the op has already got the new freehub (the thread was started a week or so back) then having a go at changing the bearings on the old one would be worth a go with a couple of potential benefits.

1. They get to improve their bike maintenance skills without the risk of screwing something up that matters
2. If it goes well they've got a spare freehub ready to swap if they need it later

Top Bottom