Freehub damage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Wheel is only a few months old, not done that much distance (29er hardtail used for local byways and bridlepaths). 10 speed Shimano cassette.

Should I contact the seller or did I do something wrong?
C4D5E76A-26C2-4DB9-9D88-417C19CC2546.jpeg

Chris S

Legendary Member
If you bought it privately then it was sold as seen.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Thats the penalty you pay for lightweight wheels/freehubs.
You've done nothing wrong and its nothing out of the ordinary.

OP
OP
figbat

figbat

Slippery scientist
It was a new wheel and hub. On further research it appears “they all do that sir, especially if sir used a pinned cassette rather than a spider”.

Yeah normal on lightweight freehubs if the cassette hasn’t been torqued up proper hard and even then you’ll still get some damage, lots of freehubs are now offering hardened versions

Big John

Guru
Sadly I've recently discovered I have the same issue. However, I have given the bike some welly over a lot of miles. Everything still works OK so I've slapped a bit of grease on the freehub, stuck the cassette back on and hope for the best. It's not slipping, not making a noise but when I get round to it I'll get a replacement.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
It looks like there's been a bit of movement of the cassette, possibly because it's not been tightened up enough.

However it's fairly normal with many aluminium freehubs. Shimano and others deciding to make them out of aluminium rather than steel was daft.

OP
OP
figbat

figbat

Slippery scientist
The cassette was proper tight, sadly my power output is not THAT high. I guess it’s just the price of lightness and cheapness. I’ll attempt to file it smooth, slap it back together and carry on.

silva

Über Member
"lightweight" has become the word to sell cheapskate materials under.
Just like "eco" is used to sell rotting away "rubber"-coated raincoats under.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
DT freehubs do that too, at low mileage. Aluminium is a totally unsuitable material for this but low weight sells wheels.

Top Bottom