Freehub? problems

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Renard

Had a strange thing happen to me today when I was out on my mountainbike, or at least its something I've never encountered before. The freehub failed entirely and as much as I could pedal I was getting no drive whatsoever.

Then it briefly engaged but within a short distance it failed again. Thought I was in for a good few miles of pushing up every rise and freewheeeling down every hill until I could get to my destination but half a mile on it started working again and worked perfectly for the rest of the ride.

Any ideas what was going on? I reckon I should just replace the freehub body to be on the safe side. Any opinions would be helpful. :boxing:

jay clock

Massive member
one solution is to squirt tons of WD40 in to loosen it up

Sounds like the freehub body.

You can buy them for £20-ish, or sometimes it's cheaper to buy a whole rear hub : a couple of years ago I bought a Tiagra rear for about £11 and took the freehub off that.

It is possible to repair/dismantle one, but a bit fiddly and you need to make a special tool - this explains how http://www.icebike.org/Equipment/freehub.htm

As a temporary measure, yes remove freehub body from hub (using big allen key as it explains in that link) and flush-out with thinner lube : but you've now essentially removed the grease from inside it and without disassembly you can't repack it, so it'll go again before too long.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
or just seized shut, as op said, flush out with wd40.
I had the same problem if you remember and doing that cured the problem..

Sittingduck said:
Pawls or the pawl spring/s may have gone...

GilesM

Legendary Member
What make is the hub, some are much easier to repair than others. WD40 and then some thin oil such as the Finish Line Wet lube could be helpful, but I suspect it's days are numbered, my advice is buy a new wheeel with a repairable hub and freehub, one with sealed bearing, Hope or Chris King, expensive, but worth it if you spend a lot of time off road in British weather.

Do you get a clicking sound when freewheeling? -If not the pawl springs have gone/caked in muck.If yes then it could be that the freewheel body has gone.

As Andy says -they can be very trying if you have to take them apart!

Top Bottom