Freehub

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

eldridge

Hi folks

is a freehub on a Mavic CXP22 serviceable?
its pretty rough to turn just wanna check things are clean in their, or am I wasting my time?

thanks for any advice

Eldridge 😎

Stompier

CXP22 is the rim, rather than the hub. But in any case, most parts of most hubs will be servicable, depending on what's actually wrong with it.

OP
OP
eldridge

eldridge

Ok thanks for that. I would like to take the freehub off just not sure if this is possible?

the main reason is just to clean it after riding through winters.

Stompier

It will certainly be possible to remove the freehub - but not necessarily without the right tools. Impossible to say without knowing more about the hub/freehub itself. A pic would help, or more details of the wheel/bike

Last edited:

Outlaw Hobbs

I have the same rims/wheels on a Boardman Road Comp. When the freehub became a bit rough sounding was faced with same problem. Solved by removing axle and using a long 11mm hex with a socket head inserted from the non drive side to unscrew the freehub. With the freehub off, it's possible to gently prise out the rubber seal on the inner face, flush with GT85 to clear out the muck and then dribble in some light oil before reassembling. It's not possible to dismantle the freehub any further. Upside - removing the axle means you get to service the cup and cone bearings at the same time; they are not very well sealed so need regular attention. Hope that helps.

OP
OP
eldridge

eldridge

I have the same rims/wheels on a Boardman Road Comp. When the freehub became a bit rough sounding was faced with same problem. Solved by removing axle and using a long 11mm hex with a socket head inserted from the non drive side to unscrew the freehub. With the freehub off, it's possible to gently prise out the rubber seal on the inner face, flush with GT85 to clear out the muck and then dribble in some light oil before reassembling. It's not possible to dismantle the freehub any further. Upside - removing the axle means you get to service the cup and cone bearings at the same time; they are not very well sealed so need regular attention. Hope that helps.

Hi thanks for the replies folks it’s very much appreciated.

OH, yes I have done what you have suggested and the freehub still seems really rough tbh, I may be better off just buying a new wheel when I can raise some spare cash.

It is on a Boarman comp.

This shitty weather is ruining my other bike.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I’m afraid I can’t do that, I‘m not that savvy with posting pics.
For future ref all you need to do is click on the paperclip, bottom left which will then access you phone files, click on the pic required and it will upload. The post will ten ask you if you want a thumbnail or full image, click and you're done.

BTW seem to remember a few people having trouble with these hubs.

Last edited:

Outlaw Hobbs

Hi thanks for the replies folks it’s very much appreciated.

OH, yes I have done what you have suggested and the freehub still seems really rough tbh, I may be better off just buying a new wheel when I can raise some spare cash.

It is on a Boarman comp.

This shitty weather is ruining my other bike.
The unbranded rear hub on my Boardman Comp had identical dimensions to the Shimano Sora hub. I was lucky and picked up a Sora hub complete with a new freehub from SJS for about £15 IRCC. If you are handy with a spoke key the hubs can be swopped over using the original spokes and nipples. Unfortunately the hubs seem hard to find now so you may be better off trying to source a replacement freehub?

OP
OP
eldridge

eldridge

For future ref all you need to do is click on the paperclip, bottom left which will then access you phone files, click on the pic required and it will upload. The post will ten ask you if you want a thumbnail or full image, click and you're done.

BTW seem to remember a few people having trouble with these hubs.
Thanks cycleops

OP
OP
eldridge

eldridge

By heck that was easy; thanks cycleops 👍

Top Bottom