Freesat, anyone any experience good/bad?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
That's a very old Freesat box. Mine is newer than the one in the video below, but works the same way. The only way to access the non-Freesat channels is to switch into non-Freesat mode and then you can either scroll through the list of channels using the 'P' up and down buttons OR type in 5082 (Ch4 HD) etc.

I stand corrected.

However on older Foxsat boxes you can use custom firmware to add non-Freesat channels such as C4 HD to the EPG channel list. That then allows you to select them without putting the box into non-Freesat mode. You can also program recordings, but only on a timed basis.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I stand corrected.

However on older Foxsat boxes you can use custom firmware to add non-Freesat channels such as C4 HD to the EPG channel list. That then allows you to select them without putting the box into non-Freesat mode. You can also program recordings, but only on a timed basis.
Yes, it is very annoying that they don't allow that now!

ColinJ

I now have 50 OLD SKOOL FLOORFILLERS 1990 to 1994 on in the background on Clubland. It isn't the kind of thing that I'd want to record and I wouldn't check a programme guide to see what is coming up either so I am happy to access it in non-Freesat mode and leave it running. I just turn the volume up or down depending on what is playing, and I mute the adverts!

The other channel that I used to put on was Vintage TV. That is currently off-air but I saw an announcement that it is coming back on Sky so it will probably be available via non-Freesat mode too. (I can't see them encrypting that channel the way they would movies or premiership football!)

ColinJ

I am waiting for a recording to start (Ch4 news in SD) while I have the box in non-Freesat mode. I expect the recording will still work, but there might be some problem ...? :whistle:
Yes, ONE recording still works. PS Hang on - I just checked again and I have had failed recordings since then. Further investigation required!

I haven't yet tried scheduling 2 simultaneous recordings while in non-Freesat mode to see what happens. (Normally, if watching a 3rd channel, a pop-up box warns of a clash and asks what to do. It would be sensible to automatically dump the box back into Freesat mode in this situation and use both tuners for the recordings.)

I like having Clubland back - I've got 00s Ibiza anthems playing now while I do my computer thing!

Freesat box up and running... Sky cancelled :-)
Excellent - you don't hang about, do you! :okay:

Last edited:
I see people recommending Humax boxes for around £100, but the ones I've seen are near to or even over £200.

My TV has Freesat built in so get that already, but if I wanted to record then I presume I'll need something like a Humax box anyway?

Also can you pause,FF,RW Freesat via a Humax box?

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I see people recommending Humax boxes for around £100, but the ones I've seen are near to or even over £200.

My TV has Freesat built in so get that already, but if I wanted to record then I presume I'll need something like a Humax box anyway?

Humax have a returned section on their website that offers deals, if not theer is always ebay. You may find that with the addition of just a USB memory stick you can do some basic recording on your TV already. For " >> and << yes you can, that is the whole point of a recording box.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next

Something like a Humax box, unless your TV is a Freesat+ one where you can just plug in a hard disk. pause,FF,RW was part of Freesat+ too, but I think those are most of the boxes sold now.

If pricing is a concern and you're willing to tolerate a slightly more complicated setup, more featureful DVB-S2 recorders are cheaper because they're not paying for the Freesat branding. Some of them will load the Freesat EPG, though.

ColinJ

[I'm repeating things that others posted while I was typing!]

Some TVs will let you record if you connect an external USB drive. Yours might?

I have my Humax Freesat box set up to automatically buffer live TV (for the rare times when I actually watch live). It means that I can make a cuppa/answer the door or phone/have a quick toilet break/whatever without bothering to start a recording, then come back and instantly rewind to where I left off. It is extremely handy if somebody distracts you and you miss an important line of dialogue in a drama, or you want to rewatch something you just saw. That is one thing I am missing in non-Freesat mode - absolutely live only, no recording, no rewind.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
[...] That is one thing I am missing in non-Freesat mode - absolutely live only, no recording, no rewind.
That's another completely arbitrary and unnecessary restriction on non-Freesat mode. Other recorders can pause/rewind a buffer of what you watch even on non-Freesat channels. Are you being punished from leaving the branded enclosure?

The drawback of having a buffer running all the time is it's writing continuously, so it usually means the box either isn't completely silent (if buffering on a hard disk) or will toast its buffer's flash memory eventually (I've no idea how long that takes - I've usually buffered to hard disk).

ColinJ

That's another completely arbitrary and unnecessary restriction on non-Freesat mode. Other recorders can pause/rewind a buffer of what you watch even on non-Freesat channels. Are you being punished from leaving the branded enclosure?
I agree with you!

The Humax is remembering when I switch off in non-Freesat mode but every time I switch it back on it displays a pop-up telling me how much better Freesat mode is and asks if I would like to switch back to Freesat mode! :laugh:

The drawback of having a buffer running all the time is it's writing continuously, so it usually means the box either isn't completely silent (if buffering on a hard disk) or will toast its buffer's flash memory eventually (I've no idea how long that takes - I've usually buffered to hard disk).
I'm fairly sure that the buffering is to disk but hard drive noise isn't a problem for me because I have a significant hearing loss and can't hear it working! I can't hear the fan noise on this laptop either, even though the fan is whirring away. It is one of the few benefits of poor hearing.

My old Freeview box used to have the same kind of buffering arrangement and the drive eventually failed after about 4 years of hard use. I went down to the local computer recycling charity and picked up a replacement drive for £10. I had the box up and running again in less than 2 hours!

Top Bottom