Freewheel compatibility

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyb47

Guru
Hi to all.
I'm just looking for a little advice before i go out and buy some new wheels for my bike.At the moment my bike has a set of Mavic ma2sbp wheels fitted and it's now becoming a daily ritual for checking the spokes as the keep on working loose, as well as experiencing a few snapped ones from time to time. I've spotted a pair of wheels called cfx and after doing a little research on the net they seem to be not to bad a wheel and will suit my needs well. The description of them states they will except a screw on Shimano free wheel..I was just wondering would these be compatible to take my existing 5 speed Millard screw on free wheel. As I've got an ever closer 70 bike ride coming up this year the last thing i want is the back wheel to fail ,so to be on the safe side I think it's time for a new set.
Many thanks for reading and advice given.
Johnny

midlife

Guru
MA2 are lovely looking rims :smile:. I'd get your original wheels properly rebuilt :biggrin:

Shaun

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
Thanks for your advice both.
So it sounds like there compatible by the advice given. I was thinking about getting the Mavics rebuilt but was concerned about the cost. These new wheels I've spotted are selling for around £50 a pair against a goodness knows what it would cost to have mavics rebuilt with new spokes.
The jury still out there at the moment as to what to do.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
A few points:

You may be twisting the spokes when you tighten them up - they will soon work loose if this is the case. Mark the spoke to see if this is the case.

Otherwise try a bit of threadlock between the spoke and nipple.

Spoke breakages might indicate poor quality spokes - have a look at DT Swiss or Sapim spokes.

Beware cheap wheels - rims can crack after a while and the nipples/spokes will be poor.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
It's about 40 quid to get a wheel properly built iirc so that's 80 against 50.....

Shaun
Wow, that much. I'm a bit out of touch with UK prices, is that
universal? I know it's not comparable but my local guy who is a whizz at wheel building and truing charges me less than a fiver (using existing spokes).

Ajax Bay

Guru
Plus one for rebuilding the wheel (with new spokes qv) as opposed to buying a rubbish wheelset. But check the MA2 rims are sound, first. My Maillard hubs are as smooth now as they were in '81 and very easy to service.
try a bit of threadlock between the spoke and nipple
Don't try this - if the tension is sufficient and 'relieved' the spokes will not unscrew. Replace the spokes.
using existing spokes
Don't use the existing (original) spokes (the OP's spokes that have not already broken have done their tour of duty).
would these be compatible to take my existing 5 speed Millard screw on free wheel
While you're at it, consider replacing the 5 speed block with a 6 speed (compatible screw on and same width so no OLN issues), which will give you a 28 (say), useful for the Welsh hills.

midlife

Guru
I guess a good stainless double butted spoke is 60 odd pence so that's £20 quid plus; then the labour on top and new rim tape.

Been a while since I had some rebuilt but the above rings a bell

Shaun

Top Bottom