Freewheel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
Brilliant photos and a good write up, enjoyable reading. Thanks.

yello

From the AUK list....

Dear all

Please pass0this email on to interested parties

Did any of you ride the freewheel yesterday?

What did you think of it?

eg

The organisation

Route

Facilities

Information

The hubs

The led ride

The publicity

Or any other matter

I will past any comment on to the organisers

Comments to: philipbenstead_at_gmail.com (I'm sure he won't mind me posting)

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
Hey Ben, I didn't know any one else from CC was meeting a Gidea Park. I never even noticed you taking photos at the start. I lost the other Havering marshalls once we left Victoria Park. Looked out for everyone, but the quick disguise of changing your top must have fooled me. :smile:
Didn't see half those dressed up that you managed, although I skipped the first half and went rounds Cannon Street.
I am looking through my videos to post some on You Tube. I have 10 minutes from GP To Romford and will cut down some of the ride from Ilford into interesting chunks. They should be up be the end of the week.

ChrisKH

Guru
I didn't see any CycleChat shirts yesterday, well, apart from mine. Wiil try to post the official Sky photographs if I can find them today. I also got a visit from the p. fairy just as I was queueing up to have a go on the sprint challenge so missed that. I was too busy marshalling BenKH, but a friend I went with said he didn't feel the route was as good as last year as it didn't pass as many landmarks (Whitehall, No 10, Parliament Square, Horseguards parade, London Bridge turnaround) etc. I must admit it was a bit there and backish, but probably a lot safer as a result. Out of interest, the route from Tower Hill to Buckingham Palace was my exact London commute for four years up until a year or so ago.

Sig SilverPrinter

Hey Ben and Mr Cellophane I went from Gidea Park me and my brother were the last to turn up, he on cannondale me on sirrus, so we are not in yor photo.I also lost eveyone at Victoria Park had a really enjoyable day great to see so many kids cycling just great to see so many cycling.Then cycled home via the A13.Must say my knees are aching a bit!!!

ChrisKH

Guru
Here we go. BenKH looks a bit demented though:-

RED_9-11_0353.jpg

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
I skipped the cycle home. I waited around in VP till 3:30 to see if anyone turned up. When no one had I headed down the Greenway. By the time I got to Stratford, then effects of sitting on a "comfy" park bench were getting to me so I caught a train to Harold Wood and then did the last 3 miles home from there. Managed 40 miles in the day so fairly please with myself as it came after 30 on Saturday.
The A13 path (south side) is such a good route into the city that I am looking for the optimum route from Hornchurch down to it.

I can't find any of me either:sad: although I was photographed (staged) by Getty images and another snapper who was taking pictures for the organisers. Oh, and several of the newspapers.;)

I know, Media Tart;)

Sig SilverPrinter

mr_cellophane said:
The A13 path (south side) is such a good route into the city that I am looking for the optimum route from Hornchurch down to it.

I will have a look at which route we took.....
We came off at Ripple Rd bit of New rd up Ballards then Rainham rd a right into Dagenham Rd then you take a path called The Chase, that takes you between Eastbrookend cemetry and country park that leads you to Upper rainham Rd nr to the car drome and Harrow lodge park and right opposite my rd .To go to Hornchurch you could cut straight across Harrow Lodge.

The only bit of the A13 route I didn't like was the bit where you go through with trees on either side and a little underpass I don't know how safe I would feel on my own.

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
Sig SilverPrinter said:
I will have a look at which route we took.....
We came off at Ripple Rd bit of New rd up Ballards then Rainham rd a right into Dagenham Rd then you take a path called The Chase, that takes you between Eastbrookend cemetry and country park that leads you to Upper rainham Rd nr to the car drome and Harrow lodge park and right opposite my rd .To go to Hornchurch you could cut straight across Harrow Lodge.

The only bit of the A13 route I didn't like was the bit where you go through with trees on either side and a little underpass I don't know how safe I would feel on my own.

That is sort of the route I tried to take going into London last time I tried experimenting. I missed the turn by the car drome and so ended up a mile or so back eastwards. ;)
I think the underpass you mean is for the north circular. I came under there once and there were 2 teenagers on one bike and the back one was standing up. A bit later and I would have crashed into them - they weren't very manouverable like that.

Top Bottom