Freewheel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

curlycomber

Regular
Hi, very newbie question. (SORRY ABOUT THE TERMINOLOGY). I bought a second hand Carrera TDF for commuting to work. The chain and sprockets were very worn. Sourcing components looked OK until I got to the gears on the back wheel. The type I took off was the ball bearings flew everywhere type (freewheel?). When I contacted Halfords they said I could replace it with https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bi...halfords-7-speed-freewheel-14-28t-248364.html which appears to have a thread at the spoke end. Mind just have the loose bearing race area. Very confused can anyone help. Is it cheap to find a complete wheel with 7 gears?

How newbie was that

Curlycomber

Ajax Bay

Guru
:welcome:
https://sheldonbrown.com/freewheels.html
Have a scan of this Sheldon Brown article ^. You probably just need a new freewheel (which screws onto the male thread on the hub) and a new chain (cut to the correct length) with quick link to join it.

Last edited:

Sharky

Guru
Bit confusing what you have described.

Can you up load a photo of the wheel and the bits you have taken off?
Not sure what you have done.

OP
OP
C

curlycomber

Regular
I agree I haven’t explained very well. What I am trying to say, very badly is. What supports the inner/larger diameter of the freewheel component on the hub now there are no ball bearings. Sorry I can’t send pics Curlycomber

Ajax Bay

Guru
Look at the link I shared so you have an insight into the set-up.
I can only assume you have undone the cones one end and pulled out the axle, with (assumed) dry bearings 'flying everywhere'. OP: the bearings are to allow the wheel to rotate smoothly. You can buy new ones cheaply from your local bike shop (LBS, take a flying one in) Normally rear hubs take nine 1/4 inch balls per side) and buy a tube of grease at the same time. Freewheel replacement is a separate issue: and they're a bar steward to get off, so you'll know if you've done that!
1585482367868.png

1585482585620.png

Last edited:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I think the picture on the website is wrong the description is for a screw on freewheel but the pictures are for a cassette.
If it had bearings inside i would think its a screw on ,how many gears do you have as some later models of tdf did go to a screw on freewheel but the older ones did have 8 speed cassettes.

Ajax Bay

Guru
I think the picture on the website is wrong the description is for a screw on freewheel but the pictures are for a cassette.
If it had bearings inside i would think its a screw on ,how many gears do you have as some later models of tdf did go to a screw on freewheel but the older ones did have 8 speed cassettes.
I offered the link and images so the OP could determine whether it's a freewheel or freehub/cassette: images of both: so one picture will be 'right'! The wheels are "Shimano 2300, Wheels: 36-spoke alu " at least that's what I've found - so cup-and-cone. There are bearings inside all (both freewheel and freehub) hubs - so existence of bearings (balls) cannot be used to discriminate.

Reactions: C R
OP
OP
C

curlycomber

Regular
As ever thanks for all your help and willingness to put people like me correct. That makes sense thus I will have another look this afternoon. Thanks again Curlycomber

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I offered the link and images so the OP could determine whether it's a freewheel or freehub/cassette: images of both: so one picture will be 'right'! The wheels are "Shimano 2300, Wheels: 36-spoke alu " at least that's what I've found - so cup-and-cone. There are bearings inside all (both freewheel and freehub) hubs - so existence of bearings (balls) cannot be used to discriminate.
i was refering to the link the OP posted to the halfords website

If it is a 7-speed bike, then you have a freewheel on there. The only way for bearings to go flying in that case, would be when yiou've somehow managed to disassemble, rather than remove the freewheel. Once it is disassembled whilst still on the wheel, then it gets hairy.

OP
OP
C

curlycomber

Regular
I think that is what I have done, earlier replies mention 1/4" ball bearings where in my case they are tiny about 3mm . As I cannot send a pic. Do you think I have got sprockets off and left behind the "flange" that screws onto the wheel?

Curlycomber

Mike_P

Guru
I would avoid that Halfords freewheel get a Shimano TZ21 instead; mine refuses to index properly (a complaint of others on the Halfords web site and it's materials if construction are potentially rusty)

Top Bottom