Freewheel.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Porsche924

How can I remove a 5 speed Maillard freewheel without the correct tool?

With great difficulty. Does this take the 24 tooth Maiilard tool? You can still get them.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WsVL1XqZve8

Last edited:

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Take off the first sprocket or two, unscrew the cone and strip it down. The last part of the body can then be unscrewed using the pawl flats. Don't do this if you want to use it again.

Lovacott

Über Member
I use the six inch nail and pipe wrench method (only proceed if you never wish to re-use the same freewheel).

Use a centre punch and hammer to loosen the lockring. If you haven't got a centre punch, use a six inch nail.

Once the lockring is free, lift off the gear cogs and listen to the tinkling sound as your kitchen floor becomes covered in steel bearings.

Grab an 18 inch pipe wrench and do battle (in a counter clockwise direction) against the mightiest force in the universe.

Install the new freewheel and off you go.

Easy as pie.

OP
OP
Porsche924

Porsche924

I use the six inch nail and pipe wrench method (only proceed if you never wish to re-use the same freewheel).

Use a centre punch and hammer to loosen the lockring. If you haven't got a centre punch, use a six inch nail.

Once the lockring is free, lift off the gear cogs and listen to the tinkling sound as your kitchen floor becomes covered in steel bearings.

Grab an 18 inch pipe wrench and do battle (in a counter clockwise direction) against the mightiest force in the universe.

Install the new freewheel and off you go.

Easy as pie.
Sounds simple. I don't think.

Lovacott

Über Member
Sounds simple. I don't think.

It is pretty simple to be honest. Once you have outer part off (which is only held in with a simple lockring), you have something for a pipe wrench to get purchase on. I've had to do this a couple of times where there maybe hasn't been enough grease applied during original assembly and the freewheel is seized to the threads.

overmind

My other bike is a Pinarello
Could you take a 10 cm length of wooden batten of roughly the same shape as the splines an bang it into the hole so it gets stuck. Then grip the other end with a pipe wrench; plus maybe a cheater bar for extra leverage.

Let's call it 'the square peg into a round hole' method.

Last edited:

Lovacott

Über Member
Could you take a 10 cm length of wooden batten of roughly the same shape as the splines an bang it into the hole so it gets stuck.
Let's call it 'the square peg into a round hole' method.

It's amazing how tight a freewheel gets. Every time you pedal up a hill, you are putting a load on the freewheel in the tightening direction.

I actually knackered a freewheel tool trying to get the last one off.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
If it's been on a while I would get the correct tool, large wrench and a pipe to give you a six foot wrench. I needed this for a much less old freewheel (7 speed) that had only been on a few years. Couldn't get it off with an 18" wrench and correct tool, so fitted the garden hoe to the end. The hoe still has the flattened end and will still slot onto the wrench if I ever need to use one again - I did, a second hand bike we got for my son some years ago. I really struggled with my freehub, and even with the 'six foot' wrench I thought it had not budged. I felt it slip, but in that moment I toppled backwards across the driveway. In anger I gave up, put the wheel away. Next morning, ready to take it to the bike shop, gave it one last go, it was loose.:laugh:

They rarely budge by whacking them, and it's way too easy to hit your fingers.

Top Bottom