Friction drive ekit systems

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smudge

Veteran
Does anyone have any experience of these type of systems ?
I've been intrigued by this Revos system as a really lightweight kit to possibly put on my road bike. It also looks a super easy kit to fit and to remove at any time to go back to a normal unassisted bike.
https://revolutionworks.com/
Seems a bit pricey for what it is, £495 & £595 for kits with 100wh and 200wh batts respectively. Although there was a code knocking about to get 10% off that.

Any other lightweight ekit systems to consider ?

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
It looks good, nice and simple. However, I wonder if a roller drive on the tyre would be anywhere near as efficient as a conventional hub drive? And how much more wear it would cause your tyre. But if neither of these worries you then it looks to be a good solution to keep your own bike. I wouldn't expect it to be quite as good as a dedicated e-bike.

OP
OP
Smudge

Smudge

Veteran
It looks good, nice and simple. However, I wonder if a roller drive on the tyre would be anywhere near as efficient as a conventional hub drive? And how much more wear it would cause your tyre. But if neither of these worries you then it looks to be a good solution to keep your own bike. I wouldn't expect it to be quite as good as a dedicated e-bike.

It obviously wont be as efficient as a hub drive motor.
I fitted a hub drive ekit to another bike of mine, it was on there for 6 years. Plus i have a Raleigh Pioneer E, also hub drive. But for my road bike, i'd like to keep the original wheels and also have a really lightweight ekit.

OP
OP
Smudge

Smudge

Veteran
Extra wear on the tyres wouldn't worry me much, i simply dont do enough mileage for that to matter.
More of an issue for me with this kit, is that you cannot adjust the power assistance, its either on or off. There also isn't a lever to take the friction drive away from the wheel at times, although it seems it can be done using a tool.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I wouldn't worry then. My e-bike was often set to 100% anyway, if I didn't want drive I'd just stop pedalling. I'd be looking at the warranty etc but if that all seems reasonable then I can't think of a reason not to buy it

Major downside to this system is no compatibility with rear mudguards, but I assume you'd already considered that with the existing bike.

OP
OP
Smudge

Smudge

Veteran
I wouldn't worry then. My e-bike was often set to 100% anyway, if I didn't want drive I'd just stop pedalling. I'd be looking at the warranty etc but if that all seems reasonable then I can't think of a reason not to buy it

I may take a punt on this system. I was interested in buying the Boardman 8.9 ebike, as a lightweight ebike, but even the large size never fitted me right.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
There has been several friction drive kits over the years.

None worked well, either chewing the tyre or not providing useful drive, or both.

A manufacturer might crack it at some point, but there's nothing to suggest this kit will perform any better than all the others.

OP
OP
Smudge

Smudge

Veteran
There has been several friction drive kits over the years.

None worked well, either chewing the tyre or not providing useful drive, or both.

A manufacturer might crack it at some point, but there's nothing to suggest this kit will perform any better than all the others.

Yes, i know they never got a good rep in the past, but i wondered if the tech and the friction roller had moved on to something better. I guess i wont know for certain unless i buy one and try it, at £600 tho, it could be an expensive try out.
Cant seem to find anyone saying anything really negative about it though.

OP
OP
Smudge

Smudge

Veteran
What i really want doesn't seem to exist. I'd like a easy to fit, lightweight and simple crank drive. With no complications like handlebar controls or brake cut outs, plus a light batt of around 7.5amp/hr.
Only thing that comes close is that hidden seatpost kit, but its too expensive.

Top Bottom