Friction Shifters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dale 1956

How many of us like to use the old time friction shifters? I just got done a few days ago building my own touring bicycle I had install some click shift setup but I hate them so off they came and I installed a nice set of friction shifters on my new Surly DIsc Tucker 52cm here is a picture on my bicycle.

Attachments

• IMG_20180911_152430.jpg
    IMG_20180911_152430.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 107

Drago

Legendary Member
Friction is good on a hard working tourer. They ain't going to break, jam or stick like index or ratchet systems.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Great bike. I have an earlier version of the Surly DT. I wouldn’t swap the bar end shifters for the world. You can set them to run as friction or indexed. Whatever takes your fancy. The best thing is, they are reparable in the field. I used to have a normal set of drop bars and occasionally I would knock the levers with my knees. I have since fitted a set of Salsa Cowchippers which are flared. The problem no longer exists. I assume your bars are Salsa Woodchippers.
6DA5A0F4-A741-4618-8E69-4F08D99C3707.jpeg

KneesUp

Guru
They were ok on 5 speed. I wouldn't want them on anything.more than 6 speed, except as a backup option.
I use friction on 8 speed all the time because I can't be bothered to index it - you get a feel for the lever movements after a very short time.

EDIT - I'm not sure the hanger is straight because when I did try to index it, it was never quite right, so I just swapped over to friction as @raleighnut says - it's easy on most SIS Shimano stuff.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
One of my commute bikes I set up as a 1x8 downtube shifter. Since I didn't have the right shifter for it I ran it friction, for the first few days I thought 'this isn't working out', then I got used to it*.

*I was already used to downtube shifters, it was friction shifting on 8-speed I hadn't done before.

ohFtU0Q.jpg

Top Bottom