Friday, 30th Dec - Todmorden to Waddington. 100 km (shorter option from Whalley)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I have arranged a ride with @Blue Hills, to take place tomorrow (Fri 30th Dec). If you are free and fancy an undulating forum ride, you'd be welcome to join us. Sorry for the very short notice but we only decided yesterday afternoon to do this ride.

BH will be setting off from Clitheroe and I will be starting from Todmorden. We will meet up at either Spring Wood, Whalley or on the Padiham Greenway between Rose Grove and Padiham. After that we will ride to Country Kitchen cafe in Waddington. I will ride back to Todmorden afterwards.

You could set off from Todmorden with me or meet on the Greenway, or at Spring Wood picnic centre above Whalley..

I will be setting off from Tod at 09:00. ETA Greenway ~09:50, Padiham leisure centre ~10:00, Spring Wood ~10:35.

The return trip from/to Tod will be just over 100 km (62 miles). From/to Rose Grove about 68 km (42 miles). From/to Spring Wood about 46 km (29 miles).

The A646 between Todmorden and Rose Grove is moderately busy at times. The rest of the route is fairly quiet and scenic

Cafe stop at Country Kitchen cafe in Waddington at about 12:30 for around 45 minutes.

Pace - slow and chatty - ~16 kph (10 mph) perhaps?

Post below if you would like to join us. If you do, I will edit this post to give more details

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I'll bump this thread up since time is tight and potentially interested CycleChatters might not spot it in time.

I'll bump it one last time this evening for the same reason.

COME AND JOIN US AND BURN OFF THOSE EXCESS CHRISTMAS CALORIES!!! :okay:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Just goes to show the reach of Cycle Chat and how we are all connected by this great hobby of ours. I have known Blue Hills longer then I have been on the forum. He was one of the peeps that re-introduced me to longer distance cycling many years back. I'll have to come up and cycle in your neck the woods sometime too Colin.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Just goes to show the reach of Cycle Chat and how we are all connected by this great hobby of ours. I have known Blue Hills longer then I have been on the forum. He was one of the peeps that re-introduced me to longer distance cycling many years back. I'll have to come up and cycle in your neck the woods sometime too Colin.
That would be good!

Blue Hills contacted me a few weeks ago to say that he would be back in Clitheroe for a while over Christmas/NY and asked if I fancied meeting up for a ride. The Ribble Valley/Forest of Bowland is one of my favourite cycling areas in the NW so I said yes, subject to acceptable weather, and us both being free on the same day. That day is tomorrow ... :smile:

Oldfentiger

Veteran
Well, I've had a couple of dark rums while helping Mrs OFT cook our tea, and they've had the desired anaesthetic effect.
Unless I'm rendered immobile again in the morning, I'll chuck the bike in the car and wimpishly drive to Spring Wood. If I'm not there, don't wait around.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Well, I've had a couple of dark rums while helping Mrs OFT cook our tea, and they've had the desired anaesthetic effect.
Unless I'm rendered immobile again in the morning, I'll chuck the bike in the car and wimpishly drive to Spring Wood. If I'm not there, don't wait around.
Excellent!

LAST CALL ...

I'll check this thread before I set off in the morning to see if anybody signs up at the last moment. If you want to ride with me from Todmorden, be standing with your bike at the exit from the bus station near the mini-roundabout on the A646 at 09:00 and watch out for me wearing a blue cycling jacket, and riding a red Cannondale. If I don't spot you, call out 'COLINJ - DON'T LEAVE ME STANDING HERE', or something like that! :okay:

Otherwise, 09:50-ish at the Rose Grove end of the Padiham Greenway, 10:00-ish where the Greenway comes out at Padiham leisure centre, or 10:35-ish at Spring Wood picnic centre on the A671 above Whalley.

Disgraceful arriving by car :smile: - hope to see you. Colin has just told me you'll be there - hope to see your auto-changing cool glasses - I'll probably have my collection of cheapo Aldi specials - dark/silver, yellow, clear - someone on a London ride the other week told me that I didn't look like a normal person in the former so please don't be too scared.

Thought you'd been on here longer than knowing me - I well remember seeing you in a Cyclechat top and asking where you got it. Doh! Didn't know about it at the time. Yes the Ribble Valley and Bowland is beautiful - though you don't appreciate it until you leave. A couple of years ago I rounded a corner near Chipping and exclaimed "*** me" so glorious was the view.

As for "connections" - yes the world can be a small place - most Londoners soon come to know this - 8 million plus and still there are some very short links - 6 degrees has nowt on it - can't be too careful - and I'll be having words/waving the big sooty stick at Colin later.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I will be wearing my industrial safety glasses (clear lenses) - cloud is forecast all day. I found the glasses on ebay for about £2 a pair and they do the job as well as dedicated cycling glasses. I do have Aldi & Lidl cycling sunglasses but I keep them for when we actually have sunshine!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Well, that was a good ride!

Blue Hills and Oldfentiger both decided to meet me at Spring Wood so I headed over there and spotted them chatting in the car park.

We did a good loop round to Waddington via Chipping and Cow Ark. Fen left us there and headed back to his car. BH and I went to Country Kitchen café to refuel and chat. It was so mild today that we were able to sit outside in comfort. Last time we were there was the start of November and it was much colder then!

I ended up on 102.4 km (64 miles) for the day. One more ride tomorrow will take me to my 2016 target at the very end of the year.

I will be wearing my industrial safety glasses (clear lenses) - cloud is forecast all day. I found the glasses on ebay for about £2 a pair and they do the job as well as dedicated cycling glasses. I do have Aldi & Lidl cycling sunglasses but I keep them for when we actually have sunshine!
ah, if had read this before would have given them a closer look - vaguely aware of them - seem to remember that they looked pretty decent/cool - if you have a link please share - I tend to buy cycling glasses cheap these days as they tend to scratch anyway - and while euro membership lasts the basic important factors are to euro standards anyway. One of the joys of ageing - I no longer need prescription inserts.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

ah, if had read this before would have given them a closer look - vaguely aware of them - seem to remember that they looked pretty decent/cool - if you have a link please share - I tend to buy cycling glasses cheap these days as they tend to scratch anyway - and while euro membership lasts the basic important factors are to euro standards anyway. One of the joys of ageing - I no longer need prescription inserts.
The price has gone up since I bought them. I paid £4.06 for 2 pairs. THIS is the current offer.

Many thanks for the ride colin, effortlessly led and very sociable - the couple of twonks who supposedly led my last home counties ride could have learned much from it - we separated now and again, as often happens - but no great problem - back in the smoke now but will be in touch on my next trip back to the promised land. Do check out the holy toilet on your next trip that way.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Many thanks for the ride colin, effortlessly led and very sociable - the couple of twonks who supposedly led my last home counties ride could have learned much from it - we separated now and again, as often happens - but no great problem - back in the smoke now but will be in touch on my next trip back to the promised land. Do check out the holy toilet on your next trip that way.
Oh, shucks! :whistle:

Season of Mists, the hilly and very scenic audax event we were discussing. Oct 8th this year.

I forgot to mention its sister event, Spring into the Dales, which takes place on Apr 9th this year. A similar concept, but we ride to the Dales and back rather than the Forest of Bowland.

A few of us from CycleChat often get together and ride the events forum ride style. If you happen to be oop north either of those weekends, then why not join us?

Top Bottom