Friday animals

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonj2

Elmer Fudd said:
A ZONKEY !
No Elmer. That's not a zonkey. That's the zonkey.

What about this then - a DOUBLE-NOSED dog! called xingu:
_44050853_xingu_203.jpg

with its mother:
_44050699_bella_203.jpg

apparently it has an enhanced sense of smell. Could this lead the way for dogs to be evolved that have a huge bunch of noses? You'd only need one in the whole of dover and it'd smell anything that was being brought in.

:ohmy:
But is it two noses or one bifurcated nose?

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
I've seen some dimwit post this as a Zorse, but it's not, it's an Okapi...

okapi.jpg

BTW, bonj and anyone interested, I was discussing xingu with my colleague, who trained as a vet and he thinks it's probably the external nose that's bifurcated, and not the whole nasal system.

I seem to remember reading that Xingu fathered a litter and some of them were double nosed, but they died, which makes me suspect it's a congenital abnormality. According to Simon, multi-headed or extra-limbed animals aren't all that uncommon, and are often the result of incomplete splitting of twins in the very early stages, and he wondered if this was the reason for the double nosed dog...

bonj2

Arch said:
BTW, bonj and anyone interested, I was discussing xingu with my colleague, who trained as a vet and he thinks it's probably the external nose that's bifurcated, and not the whole nasal system.

it probably only is the external nose, the internal nasal passages are probably not all duplicated aswell. But I would think it can still smell better because it's got more surface area of external nose to pick up scent.

bonj2

Arch said:
I seem to remember reading that Xingu fathered a litter and some of them were double nosed, but they died, which makes me suspect it's a congenital abnormality. According to Simon, multi-headed or extra-limbed animals aren't all that uncommon, and are often the result of incomplete splitting of twins in the very early stages, and he wondered if this was the reason for the double nosed dog...

could be, but its mother was on the BBC webpage aswell and she was double nosed aswell...?

...would be nice if the xingu was called a 'pongu' I think...

Quoll!
Quoll%20Yawn.jpg

bonj - aren't the nasal receptors inside the nose? If so, external nose area would make no difference.

Alex - Sex drive? It's dry humping a tree! No wonder they're endangered...:ohmy:

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
bonj;43730][QUOTE=Arch said:

could be, but its mother was on the BBC webpage aswell and she was double nosed aswell...?[/QUOTE]

Yes, that's true. But I suppose the tendency to incomplete twinning could be genetic, as the tendency to twinning is in humans... Some of the features that define modern dog breeds, like big eyes and snub noses, are probably the result of concentrating minor congenital abnormalities generation after generation...

Simon has a big vet book full of pictures of 'monsters'... You can see where the idea for a lot of mythical creatures comes from...

On that subject, this has been suggested as the basic of the mermaid legend... I give you, the dugong...

dugong.jpg

bonj2

Chuffy said:
bonj - aren't the nasal receptors inside the nose? If so, external nose area would make no difference.

maybe - I thought i heard somewhere that dogs use the whole wet black bit of the outside of their nose to smell, i.e. has receptors on - but may be wrong...

bonj said:
maybe - I thought i heard somewhere that dogs use the whole wet black bit of the outside of their nose to smell, i.e. has receptors on - but may be wrong...
No. The wet black bit is the gusset punter, for nuzzling strangers in intimate ways.

Bilby!

bilby.jpg

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Darnit, Simon would know about the nose thing, but he's not here today...

Oh, Chuffy, I've never seen a bilby! I want one!

(this is the problem with me and cute animals, I always want one. That's what started the whole baby elephant thing...)

Top Bottom