FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast 28th September 2007

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Friday Night Ride to the Coast 28th September

for those of you who don't know the form - it's this. We leave Hyde Park Corner at midnight. The pace is conversational, and we sort of stick together. Quite a few of our riders will not have done sixty miles before, much less at night, so there may be some waiting around at the top of hills. We stop on the way to the coast, sometimes at Gatwick (there is a thing called the Gatwick Surprise, but don't ask me to tell you what it is) or at a friends house.

The ride takes place once a month or so. This will be the thirteenth edition. So far they have been dry, but then again, this is the thirteenth. Numbers vary from eleven to over forty. Ages from six to sixtysix, but mostly in their twenties and thirties. I'm still undecided about the destination of this months, but it may be Brighton or it may be East Wittering.

This is a CTC ride, run under the auspices of the Cheam and Morden section of the South West London DA, and you have to pre-register. You can send me an e-mail simon_legg@yahoo.co.uk. If you look on ACF you'll see all kinds of pics of previous rides.

OP
OP
simon l& and a half

simon l& and a half

http://www.anothercyclingforum.com/index.php?topic=40219.135

shameless bump. Riders now in the 20s....xx(

Pete

Just been reading the ride reports on the above link, a place I can't post on, myself. Hats off to all of you! I think these rides are a bit beyond me at the moment, but I may re-consider if things look up next year...

Lost another rider, huh? I seem to recall that the same happened on the way to Cuckmere earlier this year, though we reined-in the 'deserter' in due course. How about making it a cardinal rule, that every participant in such rides (especially nocturnal) must carry a phone? And that two people - the leader and the back marker - must carry a list of all the numbers? A simple thing to arrange at the start of such a ride, and might save a lot of time and f**ting about later in the ride... Something to think about.

OP
OP
simon l& and a half

simon l& and a half

Pete - as you know - we do take telephone numbers. These days we even take next of kin numbers. We haven't hitherto thought it worthwhile to check that people actually had the phone with them. And, as you should remember, June's escapee chose a part of Sussex that was devoid of mobile coverage.

Pete

OK, chill out Simon, I wasn't meaning to have a go at the leadership, indeed those rides I've been on, with you I/C, it's been impeccable ;)... Just a bit of extra 'insurance', that's all. I have at least one spare mobile around the house (you can pick them up in the supermarket these days for little more than a taxi fare) and I'd be minded to bring it along if ever I came to any organised ride in future, to lend to anyone 'without'.

And I know all about mobile 'dead spots' - I live in Sussex, remember! Usually if you aren't actually immobilised*, riding on a mile or two will take you into a place where there is coverage. And at the place where we halted (near Laughton IIRC) my mobile was still working OK.

*no pun intended.

Top Bottom