FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast - Southend on Sea 7th November

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Best PM me an address and I'll send it. I cannot see any reasonable opportunity to get it to you otherwise before the weekend after next.
Relax. You rescue a guy's jacket and tenderly care for it, it's half-one nearly, and the framekiller hasn't even posted a photo yet! Come on Tim - we have all done our washing and been for a constitutional or so, and we need pixels!
23hvw3p.jpg

Tim's lucky escape...At speed, downhill would not have been much fun.

2cy2zgw.jpg

Breakfast at Al Barone's

Had a person gone straight to the station, they could have been in ABO by 9:00. Oh well.
Yes.
Nine hours at reception class is a fair stint. No wonder I fell asleep after cycling to Aldgate. I then embarked of a fairy-tale voyage around the tube system, arriving at most stations, all bar one I wanted.
"Yacht's up, Doc?"
IIRC Adrian had a soft spot for the Jaguar's eyes. 'Kitschmet' more like. Jealous, moi? :mrpig:

SaLQ83

Thank you @dellzeqq for a wonderful last ride :thanks:and to the Wayfinders and TECs for your support. It was nice to catch up with some old friend and reminisce some great memories. @GVSAM7 and I had a great time as it was a memorable end to a great era :bicycle:...

Looking forward to the next chapter and thank you again for everything. :cheers:

It was actually my good fortune that I am a Guardian reader and read that article about the night rides. It caught my imagination and though I could not do one of them at the time, being in the process of recovery from back surgery, I committed it to memory and knew that it was something that I wanted to come back to when I could.

It has taken me to places that I could never have imagined back then and I was already a cyclist, but one who had maybe thought that they had done their best work in their youth! One thing has lead to another though. Overnight rides have lead to rides home the next day, to century a month challenges and what I like most the chance to ride off to places I have not been before, or at least not for a very long time and along the way I have seen and experienced some great things whilst riding with some really great people. I have learnt to challenge myself on the bike again, like I used to do when I was younger and I have reminded myself how much I still enjoy doing that.

Anyway the adventure goes on and new challenges await. Time never stands still at the end of the day. Just time to say a last thank you to Simon for giving me the chance to do this and for all the fun both last night and on all the other rides. Thanks to everyone else as well for making them all such enjoyable rides. I hope to see you all on the road again soon.

This....a thousand times over..

I too came to the Fridays after a serious illness. It was when looking for information on cycle touring that I came across @arralsopp´s epic write up of the 2009 LEL and the reference to FNRttC. As soon as I moved back to within striking range I had to give it a go and ever since it has acted as a fixed point through the highs and, especially, the lows of my live. I ended up on the same table as Andy in the Rose, did I tell him this? Don't be daft, it was far to early in the morning for that kind of thing :blush:

subaqua

What’s the point
Oh this was such a great ride, I really enjoyed it - free-flowing, good-natured, and easy. We were so lucky to fit neatly in between the bands of rain, staying cold and dry until the end, even if the downpour on Saturday did mean some of us poor souls were marooned in All Bar One for rather longer than planned :smile:.

It was so special to ride one more time with so many old friends, some of whom I hadn't seen for years - sorry if I didn't say hello to all of them along the way; that always seems to happen on the big rides doesn't it. I feel sad for those who wanted to come but didn't make it for various reasons such as @subaqua (hope your eye is OK), or who didn't complete (bad luck @TimO), or who so carelessly broke their bikes (yes you, @Tim Hall). It was nice too to see my friend MickB riding his bike that was stolen and recovered through a post on CC.

It's a relief to see that one or two of our resident lushes amazingly managed to get home safely, which just goes to show there is hardly any risk involved in being drunk in charge of a bicycle. One of them hasn't put in appearance yet though (apologies in advance for the low-level bullying, but at least he hasn't got the cactus perched on his head - who did that? Naughty boys).

View attachment 61264

thank you.and my eye is sore but not as sore as it was yesterday morning. the eye drops taste foul when they run down into your gob. i can at least still see though.

adamski

Guru
A few hours later we had stopped three times for punctures because one rider was an impoverished student who couldn't afford replacement tyres.

I was on that ride but have no idea what you're talking about.....

Ess

This was one of my favourite rides and a much better Sarfend route. I haven't been riding since Feltham and it was lovely to see you all although I didn't get to speak to that many. Thanks so much Simon for this and every other Friday ride that I've been on. I only started to love cycling after riding with you guys and I feel really lucky to have experienced these wonderful FNRs over the years. Looking forward to some great 2015 rides with you.

Sandra xx

TimO

Guru
I only got to do half this ride, 47 miles in total, and only about 33 miles on the ride itself, but it was nice to be on this final ride for at least part of it!

The more southerly route out of London seemed better than the routes that I've cycled previously. East London is never going to be that scenic, but going through the Rotherhithe tunnel is fun, and this route did seem to have lower levels of traffic, which is always good.

I've done the Friday Night Rides to the Coast for many years now, and have had many great rides, and met many very nice people. Simon has done an amazing job planning the rides, and organising the people. These are far and away the best orchestrated social rides that I've ever done, little goes wrong, and what does is generally hard to predict mechanical failures. We must have had hundreds of punctures in the time that I've done the rides, a few of them mine, a small handful of mechanical failures that have necessitated people making their way home mid-ride, and a very small number of more serious personal problems. Given the number of people on the rides, I think the small amount of problems encountered was exceptional, and a sign of both Simon's organisation, and others on the ride who have helped to solve things, and who were also a testament to Simon's selection of those who can deal with such issues and help him with the ride.

Even for me on this ride, the other TECs helped me out, far more than I probably could have done myself, and made sure that I was safely on my way. Thanks guys! Hopefully it didn't slow things down too much, since you seem to have gotten to both Stock and the Rose at more or less the correct time. It was a shame to miss the more social aspects of the ride, which are also an important facet, but that was partly my own fault for falling asleep, beyond the point where it would have been practical to get to All Bar One!

I'm sure the rides will continue, in some fashion, and I'll see all of you either on other incarnations of The Fridays, or other unrelated rides. More than a decade or organising these rides (I think) is far longer than I could have done it, I think Simon has the patience of a saint. It's probably seemed a thankless task, but all of the people who post here, and at other locations appreciate how well and thoughtfully he's sorted out the routes, the people, nursed us along through the cold and wet rides, and then drank with us in numerous pubs and bars.

I'd have said it on Saturday morning, but was snoring in my bed by that time, so Thank you Simon, for many many glorious rides, and a wonderful time. Many of my friends and colleagues think I'm crazy for cycling through the night, just to get to breakfast, but it's been one of the most memorable things I've done, even if many of those memories have been half forgotten due to sleepless nights, and the following drunken mornings and lunchtimes.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
That was great fun. I particularly enjoyed that lane after Stock with the perfect tarmac. Also seeing ninety red lights snaking ahead through the quiet lanes of Essex as the sky lightened. Quite magic. Many thanks to Simon, the scarecrows and the TECs, but especially Simon. Over the last four years the FNRttCs have become an important part of my life and I'm hugely grateful for them.
I had a lot of fun at ABO and it was good to see so many of the people who I have met over the years having a laugh or three. The bimble back to Hammersmith took an unexpected turn when my chain broke in three busy lanes of traffic as I negotiated Parliament Square. Fortunately I found a replacement after walking to a bike shop in Victoria. After a completely dry night, I got completely drenched in the last ten minutes before I reached home, and it didn't matter at all.
A great day in lovely company. Thank you.

TimO

Guru
We did finally get to find out the limits of your spares collection though.
I carry a lot less in the way of tools and spares on Red, there isn't the volume to allow it. I am seriously considering putting a spare rear skewer in there though, since there was a previous occasion where someone lost the adjustable end off of his skewer, on a dark muddy road, and a spare would have saved us ten minutes searching in the grass!

Gordon P

There's no Calvados? I'll have a beer or a whisky
It was indeed a magic night: way marking under the big Essex skies and that gorgeous moon, watching the white lights approaching and the red receding was all memorable. I fully concur with all the above. Thank you Simon.
I am sorry that I missed the apres boozing but it meant I rode the 72 miles on today's Essex season ender in better shape. And as with others FNRttC has reminded me of just what is possible....

kimble

Veteran
I carry a lot less in the way of tools and spares on Red, there isn't the volume to allow it. I am seriously considering putting a spare rear skewer in there though, since there was a previous occasion where someone lost the adjustable end off of his skewer, on a dark muddy road, and a spare would have saved us ten minutes searching in the grass!

After a recent ride where someone managed the final 5 miles to the pub with a broken axle (in bottom gear, walking everything non-flat), I can't help wondering how well you could improvise around the absence of a skewer using cable ties...

Top Bottom