FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast - Southend-on-Sea May 4th

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Ross. Peculiar? Surely not!

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
No better way to spend Friday night and Saturday morning than in the company of a lovely bunch of people. I never realised how much dodgy tarmac there is on the larger roads of Essex. What a delight to hit the small lanes away from the (errrgh) "hurly burly" of the towns. I was about fifty metres behind Mice when "the youth" spread out across the road coming towards us, and there was a brief moment of nervousness that vanished as a police car blasted through them on another mission of mercy. The seas parted and we slipped through. The break at Stock was great and very good value. Thank you to the people who stayed up to make us welcome.
The second part of the ride was a delight but I was almost felled by a dreadful pun by 'Teef outside the octagonal thatched establishment in Rayleigh (?). The sea wall route into Southend through the cockle stalls and old pubs was just wonderful, as was the warmth and company at breakfast.

I had never visited LMNH before . I would love to know what the hipsters were thinking about the raucous Slag-fuelled group ensconced at the far end of the room. Actually, I can guess. Thank you to Titus for advising me of a route back to Shepherds Bush, and to 'Teef for warning me of the style gaffe of wearing a £7 George from Asda acrylic sweater over bib-longs.

Finally, a big word of gratitude for the waymarkers and the TECs, who know me quite well by now. And Simon... diamond geezer:bravo:

TimO

Guru
I had never visited LMNH before . I would love to know what the hipsters were thinking about the raucous Slag-fuelled group ensconced at the far end of the room. ...

I think we were quite quiet and restrained, and only moved the furniture around a bit. In the past, with more clement weather, we've ended up moving furniture onto the pavement in front of the establishment, to stay in the sun. ^_^

There seemed to be precious few cyclists amongst the clientele, so I think we took the proportions to a more appropriate level. I wish I'd been a bit less inclined to sleep, and could have hung around a bit longer to watch the Giro (although the cats wouldn't have thanked me!)

Incidentally, I could leave cat food in a timed feeder (I have one that I used with Zev when she was under house-arrest), but the first cat that finds it would scoff the lot, neither of them is big on sharing, and there's no guarantee that both will be around when the covers open.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I'm sure you are right. BTW, thank you for posting your brilliant panoramic photos round the table. It inspired me to look up "stitching" for my camera. Having consulted the 100 page manual, I felt the need to lie down for a while...

I'm sure you are right. BTW, thank you for posting your brilliant panoramic photos round the table. It inspired me to look up "stitching" for my camera. Having consulted the 100 page manual, I felt the need to lie down for a while...
Bring your camera to Whitstable, Martin - you'll soon have assistance getting stitched up after breakfast amongst all the disciples.
I have often been the first supper but not the last supper - luckily I don't do that sort of thing any more - oh no. Don't worry about your sartorial misdemeanours either...sitting next to Titus is good cover.
As for the folk in LoveMyNewHandbag, it was a bit of a shock to see those four retro-clad riders arrive, and survey the scene, dark glasses to the fore like cowboys striding through the swing doors in a Western. It's all good entertainment. Next time indoors, it would be useful to commandeer the tables opposite the counter and adjacent to toilet #1, thus encouraging greater interaction between the Tweeters the FB ers and the Nightride glitterati.

Finally, there was another flat; white, with a little decoration on top. The different things one sees eh?
Southend FNRttC 2012 032.jpg

TimO

Guru

The panoramic shots on this camera are trivially easy to do, although it limits you to three images for the complete panorama. The only setting it has, is whether you go from right to left or left to right.

I have used Hugin in the past to stitch together an arbitrary patchwork of images, and that can get "interesting". ^_^

The FNRttC is always very friendly, Tim, but you should be careful who you invite to a Hugin.

U

User10571

I have used Hugin in the past to stitch together an arbitrary patchwork of images, and that can get "interesting". ^_^

Does this stuff actually work?
I've downloaded it and it presents itself as an utter 'mare.
I have an ancient version of Photoshop (Hello, anyone who is happy to donate a more recent one) which stitches panoramas in an acceptable fashion. Very, very easily - Ie: I go and have a cup of tea while IT does it. And then (maybe) tart things up afterwards...

Hugin, at this point, seems like hard work....

Or am I missing something?

Nosaj

Gutted I missed this. Apologies to both Ross and Simon for the blowout on the morning. I believe that my wife's neck is now a bit better however I can only guess as I haven't spoke to her since !!

TimO

Guru
Does this stuff actually work?
I've downloaded it and it presents itself as an utter 'mare. ...

Quite possibly Photoshop (and other commercial packages) can do a better job, certainly with a lot more automation, but they're rather more expensive.

Hugin has definitely got better, and it doesn't seem to go nuts a wrap you panorama around itself like it used to do sometimes with the older versions. It's also a lot more turnkey to use now, since it does have a more guided approach, if you don't know how to use it.

At the end of the day, the price is right, and it can do a very good job, but yes, it's not alwatys as good as some commercial software.

Andrij

Über Member
thread resurrection...

Apologies to anyone I annoyed with my clicking bottom bracket on this ride. I finally got around to taking things apart and having a close look. It is well and truly borked - one set of bearings is all wobbly and has even scored the axle. At I've only done 3,100km on the bike, this definitely qualifies as 'not good'. Next time you see me on my Cheviot is should be a much quieter machine (though I'm hoping to use the Moulton on the genteel ride to Southend).

thread resurrection...

Apologies to anyone I annoyed with my clicking bottom bracket on this ride. I finally got around to taking things apart and having a close look. It is well and truly borked - one set of bearings is all wobbly and has even scored the axle. At I've only done 3,100km on the bike, this definitely qualifies as 'not good'. Next time you see me on my Cheviot is should be a much quieter machine (though I'm hoping to use the Moulton on the genteel ride to Southend).
You are displaying a classic case of 'Moulton mettle', Andrij...it will pass, and all will be forgiven...providing the 'flacon plat' is fuelled with Connemara or equiv. next time you pass by...:whistle:

Top Bottom