FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast - Southend-on-Sea September 13th

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
[QUOTE 2617277, member: 30090"]I've experienced worst on two occasions.

The first was a ride I done way back when, luckily it was only 6 miles from Bicester heading South towards the M40 junction but before this I'd turn off and head for East. The six miles took me just under an hour.

But by far the worst, not just for wind but for overall conditions was the Brighton ride back in 2011 I think? Anyone else remember this? Coming down off the Beacon the 30-40mph Southerly wind with torrential rain made me quite literally scream out in pain coming down the hill into Brighton.[/quote]

Yep, I descended into Brighton with Johnny RedFlight amd Mr McWobble... jeez.... it was of biblical proportions.....

martint235

Dog on a bike
[QUOTE 2617277, member: 30090"]I've experienced worst on two occasions.

The first was a ride I done way back when, luckily it was only 6 miles from Bicester heading South towards the M40 junction. The six miles took me just under an hour.

But by far the worst, not just for wind but for overall conditions that I've experienced was the Brighton ride back in 2011 I think? Anyone else remember this? Coming down off the Beacon the 30-40mph Southerly wind with torrential rain made me quite literally scream out in pain coming down the hill into Brighton.[/quote]
No I wasn't on the 2009 Southend or the 2011 Brighton (can't remember why I missed this one).

The worst I've seen were both headwind related : Harwich in I think 2011 (but it could be '12) which was hard work and last day of LEL where it was like riding into a hairdryer, I struggled to maintain 10mph that day.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
No I wasn't on the 2009 Southend or the 2011 Brighton (can't remember why I missed this one).

The worst I've seen were both headwind related : Harwich in I think 2011 (but it could be '12) which was hard work and last day of LEL where it was like riding into a hairdryer, I struggled to maintain 10mph that day.

I think teh reason you missed Brighton was because your tyre had a bleedin' big hole in it at HPC.
Harwich was another evil one. Me, you, 'teef and Rimas....cor blimey I near collapsed when I got home after that one.

martint235

Dog on a bike
I think teh reason you missed Brighton was because your tyre had a bleedin' big hole in it at HPC.
Harwich was another evil one. Me, you, 'teef and Rimas....cor blimey I near collapsed when I got home after that one.
Ah I remember that puncture. There was no way that tyre would have made Brighton.

Let's hope there's a more favourable wind the Friday after next.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Posting in the right thread...
It is our intention that this ride will be our first FNRfhttC - taking advantage of the short route to Sarfend and the largely downhill route along the A404 (Batchworth Hill excepted) to tack on an extra chunk. We do not intend to ride home!

…or cut through the Moor Park estate?
Yes - why didn't I spot that before? If you track the railway line through Moor Park you avoid the nastiest uphill gradient, which takes you far higher than you need to be. You also avoid the right turn around the roundabout up Batchworth Hill (moderately unpleasant) and the chicane at the top by the pub (unpleasant).

CharlieB

Junior Walker and the Allstars
Posting in the right thread...
Yes - why didn't I spot that before? If you track the railway line through Moor Park you avoid the nastiest uphill gradient, which takes you far higher than you need to be. You also avoid the right turn around the roundabout up Batchworth Hill (moderately unpleasant) and the chicane at the top by the pub (unpleasant).
It's the way I usually do it on the rare reckless occasions I use the 404 to get into Harrow/Ldn. Mind you, it's a bit longer.
(Not the naughty pub?)

RussellB

is now open.............

And, on September 13th it's back to Southend. And that is because the Rose Restaurant is back in business (wild cheers!). The terrazo staircase, Italian tiling and handmade bentwood chairs have been Saved for the Nation. So...........the usual heady mix of earthly delights (Romford and Brentwood) and the more ethereal pleasures of Padham's Green, Old Stock Road, views across the Estuary at daybreak, and the Cinder Path. All this and Great Architecture! 57 miles, and nary a blip on the toughometer. The ideal ride for someone who says 'ooh, those Friday Night Rides to the Coast would be far too much for my little legs to bear'.

The dates of the 2013 rides are on http://fnrttc.blogspot.co.uk/ the basics are at http://fnrttc.blogspot.co.uk/p/basics_05.html and the how-to on registration at http://fnrttc.blogspot.co.uk/p/fridays_06.html .

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Adrian C
Alexandra Y
Alice C
Amanda O
Amy P
Angus F
Angus L
Anne M
Antonio R
Bryony S
Cate R
Charlie B
Chris By
Chris M
David K
David P
Davy S
Gary H
Geoff S
Greg S
Greg T
Guy W
Ian At
Ian Hs
Jenny M
John M
John S
John T
User10571 B
Katharina S
Krista S
Lee T
Louise M
Luke C
Mark C
Mark St
Mark W
Martin F
Martin T
Nick L
Olaf S
Olufemi I
Pete H
Peter Wo
Philip P
Rachel W
Raj K
Rebecca T
Ross C
Russell B
Sandra S
Sonia W
Stephen W
Stuart A
Stuart G
Susie F
Tim D

topcat1

vintage Mercian 2012
2619761 said:
The big question, on everyone's lips I am sure, "Did The Rose escape the effects of the flooding?"

t'was open on sunday and packed, as i shot over to Shoeburyness

Top Bottom