FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast - suggestions for 2011 please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Canrider said:
Bizarrely, the train to York routes through Seamer with 30 minutes' wait, but 1.5 hours to York from Filey ain't bad.

Naturally, I'd suggest any of York-Brid/Filey/Scarb (check my location), but can I also suggest York-Whitby? The distance is equivalent to Scabs or Filey, the route is virtually straight line through Pickering, and I suspect even the A64 would be safe at that hour when attempted in numbers. If it ain't, it adds a few turns but only a couple of miles:

Google Maps

However, the train access to Whitby is definitely slightly less than Scarb/Filey, with basically one chance out Saturday mornings via Middlesbrough.

When I said problematic I meant in the people coming up from London sense and knackered people having to get three or four trains back to where ever. It is of course, not a problem for some people in the north of England. For this kind of definition I suggested Scarborough, although if we're tweaking definitions I'd like any of Scarborough, Whitby, Filey, Bridlington, Flamborough, Robin Hood's Bay, Redcar, Saltburn of which some are still easier by train than others. I didn't want to suggest Whitby as it'd be deemed too difficult, the route goes through the Hole of Horcum!!!!!!! Then again maybe not, most of the riders on it'll be better than me. Bits of the A64 are definitely safe at night and erm Bank Holidays :wacko:.

Canrider

Guru
Aw c'mon, the Hole is just a quick down-and-up. Momentum should carry you through!

I *was* thinking of external links, I actually ran the NatRail timetabler using London as a destination. But once you're in York, rail links open very wide, so it's a good point to base calculations on.

Having said that, Scarborough at 1 train to York per hour all day long is about as good as you're going to get around here.

Bank Holidays
You'd be knocked off by the stream of motorbikes lane-splitting.. :wacko: :thumbsup:

Landslide

Rare Migrant
How about <Somewhere> to Liverpool?

I just know that Dell would love to arrive to this beautiful Merseyside vista:
image_thumb12.png

iLB

Hello there
how about exeter to somewhere like torquay, with a sizeable dogleg through dartmoor national park? i think it would be tough but rewarding...

Soltydog

Legendary Member
If you're heading from Filey to York on a Saturday morning, afaicr the 1st train is about 8am & it's operated by northern. Some of the Guards from Hull are a pain in the arse :thumbsup: when it comes to bikes & they will let no more than 2 on no matter how quiet the train is, so you may have an 1+ hour wait for the next service :wacko: Personally i'd avoid Filey as a finishing point, Scarborough & Brid will give better rail options

marinyork

Landslide said:
How about <Somewhere> to Liverpool?

I just know that Dell would love to arrive to this beautiful Merseyside vista:
image_thumb12.png

Sheffield to Liverpool would not be any crazier than several of the other suggestions on this thread :wacko:.

marinyork

Canrider, love the suggestion, I really do, just the natural born worrier says I think 600ft plus for many miles and those hills would result in frozen, tired people, then having to get trains and having arguments with Transpennine conductors. Plus what Soltydog has said, getting 40 people onto trains at 1hr intervals :wacko:. Doing a lot of night riding I've tried to drag people onto peaks at night and there is a lack of volunteers.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Some interesting suggestions here already. More Yorkshire rides would be nice (I don't need an excuse to visit my best mate, but it doesn't hurt!). Greg's idea of Winchester-Poole could be good. How about, as I've previously mentioned, doing a nocturnal round the IOW ride? Well-established canonical route (would probably want a few tweaks considering the halfway stop, the lack of lighting etc), fairly straightforward transport options (plus campsites etc for those who'd want to make a weekend of it)...

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
Are you drawing a line at Hadrian's Wall? Why not come to Scotland for a mid-summer experience, it hardly gets dark :biggrin:?

(or alternatively you could show us how hardy you southern guys & gals are and try a Scottish mid-winter experience ;))

What sort of distance range are you looking for? I am sure CC Ecosse could come up with some suggestions ...

T

How about from the Thames to the Channel, or the Double D ride - Dartford to Dover?

66 miles in total. Pub stop at the Sondes Arms in Selling which is at 41 miles. The landlady there has already been asked if they'd entertain 60 cyclists in the early hours, and they'd be up for it. They also have a large garden at the back with lots of tables.

Starting from near Dartford Bridge (although it's not as big as the Humber Bridge, it does have a certain beauty). Dartford has a number of train connections, with about 8-10 per hour from London Bridge or Charing Cross to Dartford Rail and Stone Crossing, plus Ebbsfleet International is only 4 miles away.

Traditional FNRttC route to Faversham, then onto the pub, then Chartham, (enjoying the spectacular views on the Downs), Bridge, Barham, Shepherdswell, and then a lovely descent into Dover. No more than a 7% climb, although yes, the climb out of Bridge is a bit long.

Lots of things to do (and pubs) in Dover for those who want to hang around, whilst for coming back to London, there are about 4 trains an hour, split between Victoria, Charing Cross and St Pancras.

And finally, just to ease your burden a bit, the route's already been recced by several on here.

Top Bottom