Fridges and CO2

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Does a standard domestic electric fridge or freezer emit CO2 when running?
Sure they have carbon footprints from their manufacture and generating the leccy to power them, but were I to turn on a CO2 monitor in my kitchen would they be contributing to the CO2 reading?
Thanks in advance boffins and nerds.

figbat

Slippery scientist
I can’t think how they would. Maybe a tiny amount of ozone and whatever volatiles from the construction materials and food and drink inside… I suppose the carbonated drinks will give off CO2 when opened but other than that, I don’t think so.

Drago

Legendary Member
I don't think so either, but a rather demonic manager is suggesting that terrifying CO2 readings in a windowless meeting room when in use will be because there's a fridge running in the corner.

Presumably he's not a manager in charge of any kind of engineers?

The motor drives a pump, and that motor emits as much CO2 as the motor in his wife's d***o.

The reason they get excited about CO2 is because its an indicator of how fresh/clean/well circulated the air is, and in these covid conscious times that can be of interest. Mrs Ds schools all have CO2 detectors in the classroom for that reason.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I don't think so either, but a rather demonic manager is suggesting that terrifying CO2 readings in a windowless meeting room when in use will be because there's a fridge running in the corner.

Be his/her hot air. People generate CO2

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Does a standard domestic electric fridge or freezer emit CO2 when running?
Sure they have carbon footprints from their manufacture and generating the leccy to power them, but were I to turn on a CO2 monitor in my kitchen would they be contributing to the CO2 reading?
Thanks in advance boffins and nerds.

Only from the power stations that generate the leccy.

There is a circuit in the fridge which contains refrigerants which if they leak are very powerful greenhouse gasses, many times worse than co2. Many will inevitably not be properly disposed of at the end of life of the fridge.

Thanks guys. I know most of this, know concentrations of CO2 in a space are proxy indicator of the potential build up of aerosolised, lingering micro-droplet virus in an indoor space. I've got the T-shirt. Was just wondering whether there might be a scintiila of truth to the claim that a fridge in the corner could be skewing read-outs.

Last edited:

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Thanks guys. I know most of this, know concentrations of CO2 in a space are proxy indicator of the potential build up of aerosolised, lingering micro-droplet virus in an indoor space. I've got the T-shirt. Was just wondering whether there might be a scintiila of truth to the claim that a fridge in the corner could be skewing read-outs.

Very hard to think of any mechanism for this. Where did the suggestion come from?

There are fridges which are gas powered and do emit Co2

https://home.howstuffworks.com/refrigerator5.htm

Top Bottom