Friend that's visually impaired would she be able to learn to cycle in quiet areas?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaijintendo

Veteran
It's already there: search for Tandem Pilot Stoker Matching Service.
Signed up! Ta.

So bassically I have a friend that's visually impaired but she can see halfway of a average bowling lane (any direction). So any tips would she be able to or is there another way for her to get involved in cycling?
ps her family have never cycled so that's why I'm asking on here.

I have had success over the last 25 years of supplying new and used special solutions
One of which is a rare and rather nifty tandem called a "Buddy Bike"
Sounds crazy but unequal weights have no ill affect on the handling
It can be transported on a standard cowhorn or spectacle tow ball mounted rack
So what an earth is it ???
The layout has only two 26" wheels however its no longer and side on looks like a standard MTB .
The riders sit side by side in a socialable saddle postion with two handlebars .
One handlebar allows the pilot to control the steering gears and brakes
The passenger handlebar offers no steering or gears or brakes .
However I have produced "dual controls " on occasions
At this point you may say Kevin has not mentoned the pedals ??
Well you share the single bottom bracket and it has a clever double crank arms and pedals for both riders .
Very capable off roads on light trails or canal tow paths and very pleasant on tarmac
With no last minute pot hole surprises in store for the stoker who normally stares at the back and shoulders on a conventional tandem (with the exception of a Hase Pino combi)
So both riders can have the same view ........all very nice and rather socialable
Hope that helps ........

So bassically I have a friend that's visually impaired but she can see halfway of a average bowling lane (any direction). So any tips would she be able to or is there another way for her to get involved in cycling?
ps her family have never cycled so that's why I'm asking on here.
I have just signed up with the intent of looking for touring companions. My wife will not allow me to do more than an overnight or a few days tour by myself. In browsing this site I came across this thread and feel I need to respond. I am visually impaired/legally blind and like your friend see about the same distance. I only see form and colour and no detail but I am able to ride a bicycle tho' slow and carefully. I have a Burley Rock n'Roll tandem that I once rode as captain but would ride as stoker. Problem is I live Xburb, semi rural and there is no one local to ride with me and with about the same ability (an indifferent captain can "kill" a stoker). I still propose a tandem if the stoker is able to cede control! Trust is a skill I had to learn the few times I rode as stoker on my tandem. A good captain would be worth the price of a meal during a ride! Side by side tandems take up a great deal of trail or road, something to consider. Being able to see isn't an issue........and I'm still looking for a tour companion on a single or tandem bike.......

D

Deleted member 26715

Would your friend be interested in riding a Velodrome, no idea if there is one near you, but just thinking if she has some sight then logically a velodrome where everybody is going in the same direction & there is a line to follow might be a solution for solo riding.

Top Bottom