Friend that's visually impaired would she be able to learn to cycle in quiet areas?

Discussion in 'Adaptive and Disabled Cycling' started by Randombiker9, 1 Sep 2017.

1. Randombiker9

Randombiker9 Well-Known Member

So bassically I have a friend that's visually impaired but she can see halfway of a average bowling lane (any direction). So any tips would she be able to or is there another way for her to get involved in cycling?
    ps her family have never cycled so that's why I'm asking on here.

2. growingvegetables

growingvegetables Guru

Try a tandem?

raleighnut and derrick like this.
  3. Bazzer

Bazzer Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.

Tandem?
    I think there are one or two on here who are either visually impaired, or who made similar posts.

4. ianrauk

ianrauk Tattooed Beat Messiah

If you are in London. Check out Wheels For Wellbeing. Google is your friend.

5. OP
    OP
    Randombiker9

Why does everyone think I live in London. I do live in South east of England but I don't live in London.

6. Cycleops

Cycleops Guru

You should be thankful.

Heltor Chasca, Dirk and raleighnut like this.
  7. OP
    OP
    Randombiker9

Everybody else: Thanks

8. OP
    OP
    Randombiker9

Thankful of not living In London or what do you mean?

9. Bazzer

Bazzer Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.

Didn't think @ianrauk made that assumption. His reply was prefaced with If.
    If you want more specific information than that provided, detail of your location would be helpful, as people on here may have knowledge of facilities or help in that location which might not be nationwide.

Heltor Chasca and Cycleops like this.
  10. ianrauk

ianrauk Tattooed Beat Messiah

If you get off your high horse for just a second and Google wheels for wellbeing as I said. They may be able to help you and your friend.

mickle and Heltor Chasca like this.
  11. growingvegetables

growingvegetables Guru

Sorry, @Randombiker9 - that first reply of mine was a bit ... "curt"? Me trying to type on a phone, having left my reading glasses at home.

Anyways - years back I wrote this on riding a tandem with blind stoker. Brilliant fun ... for BOTH of us. But it kinda depends what getting "involved in cycling" means? Dunno. If it includes riding down to the canal a coupla miles away to watch the sunset and the bats come out, with a quiet pint at a riverside pub (guess where I've been!) ...... then a tandem could well be worth considering.

Drawback - huge outlay. Otoh - you might be able to hire to try? Or even .... put the word out locally? You might be surprised to find somebody with a tandem willing to let you use theirs for an afternoon or two, to get the hang of it?

12. Slick

Slick Veteran

I met these guys last weekend on Arran and it looked like they were having a blast. I know you aren't in Scotland, but there must be an equivalent near to you.

http://www.talkingtandems.org

13. Tim Hall

Tim Hall Guest

If you and your friend want to go down the tandem route, take a look at Charlotte's Tandems. They lend tandems to " people with disabilities or additional needs, who are unable to ride a bike safely on their own, so that they can enjoy the wonders of cycling." They seem to have various locations around the country.
    http://www.charlottestandems.co.uk/

14. gaijintendo

gaijintendo Über Member

Some great resources, and it's something I would love to do. I might have to start a site for potential stokers, who are visually impaired, and have a surplus of shed space.

Heltor Chasca likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice