Tandem riding - with a blind stoker

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Went out for the first time last week with a blind guy stoking. Great fun - and an enormous learning experience :eek:

Obvious stuff
  • talking through what you're doing and where you are, ALL the time (makes it very sociable :rolleyes:)
  • steady, very deliberate riding.
  • steady, very, very deliberate riding.
  • steady, very, very, very deliberate riding. :tongue: Don't surprise the stoker, cos he can't see what's coming! (Surprises can include everything from stopping pedalling to freewheel, gear changes, through sudden changes of course, potholes and speedbumps, to overhanging branches and nettles - and a few more; gotta be a LOT more observant.)
  • when some tit overtakes far too close, so close your blind stoker is aware of the close pass and comments on it, you need to call on superhuman reserves of Zen-like calm :cursing:; (I failed).
  • plan your route with a LOT more care than normal. (Again, I failed.)
Not so obvious
  • if you do have to get off and walk, set it up for the guy to hold on to the stoker's bars walking on the left of the bike, while you hold and steer the front bars, walking on the right of the bike. Bike becomes his white stick, you can look out for where his feet are going to go, and he doesn't trip over your heels - worth avoiding if you can!
  • you're effectively barred from any off-road cycle tracks that have those damned A-frames (and they all do in Leeds). Tandems have wider handle bars, and you can't ride through. Personally, I'm not happy about leaving a blind guy standing in the middle of nowhere, while I manhandle the bike through.
Hugely enjoyable - doing it again tomorrow, with a bit more confidence on my part :rolleyes:. Highly recommend it just for the fun of it (hmm, and for exercising the circulatory system slightly).

Aye - but has anybody else done this, and got any useful tips? It'd be nice to know what I've missed before I go out next time :hello:

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Sounds fun, although the concentration on running commentry and being steady must take some getting used to. I would be tempted to make a point of that bit about A-frames to the council.

wintonbina

Über Member
Went out for the first time last week with a blind guy stoking. Great fun - and an enormous learning experience :eek:

Obvious stuff
  • talking through what you're doing and where you are, ALL the time (makes it very sociable :rolleyes:)
  • steady, very, very, very deliberate riding. :tongue: Don't surprise the stoker, cos he can't see what's coming! (Surprises can include everything from stopping pedalling to freewheel, gear changes, through sudden changes of course, potholes and speedbumps, to overhanging branches and nettles - and a few more; gotta be a LOT more observant.)
  • when some tit overtakes far too close, so close your blind stoker is aware of the close pass and comments on it, you need to call on superhuman reserves of Zen-like calm :cursing:; (I failed).
Not so obvious

• if you do have to get off and walk, set it up for the guy to hold on to the stoker's bars walking on the left of the bike, while you hold and steer the front bars, walking on the right of the bike. Bike becomes his white stick, you can look out for where his feet are going to go, and he doesn't trip over your heels - worth avoiding if you can!
  • you're effectively barred from any off-road cycle tracks that have those damned A-frames (and they all do in Leeds). Tandems have wider handle bars, and you can't ride through. Personally, I'm not happy about leaving a blind guy standing in the middle of nowhere, while I manhandle the bike through.
Hugely enjoyable - doing it again tomorrow, with a bit more confidence on my part :rolleyes:. Highly recommend it just for the fun of it (hmm, and for exercising the circulatory system slightly).

Aye - but has anybody else done this, and got any useful tips? It'd be nice to know what I've missed before I go out next time :hello:
My sons foundation has just bought 2 tandems for our local SVI and I think you have got it just about nailed on! Its a weird but exciting experience and if there is one thing I'll to comment on is don't worry about leaving a blind person standing around the one's I've met are very adept/confident! Keep up the good work Mr GV the world needs more doers!
http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/ne..._and_partially_sighted_people_in_Bournemouth/

Maz

Guru

Obvious stuff
Not so obvious

Salam,
Thanks for sharing this. You've given me the encouragement to do likewise with my blind friend.

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
I used to ride with blind stokers too.
For an idea of what not to do - see my posting in "Stupid and Obvious things you didn't know as a new cyclist"

A good posting GrowingVeg with useful information (some of which I never knew and more that I have forgotten)
I must say that riding with a blind stoker is extremely rewarding and the pleasure a blind person can get out of riding is huge - so I would certainly encourage anyone who might like to do it to get involved.

We've got an article on riding tandems with blind stokers. I can email it to you if you contact me via our website, CharlottesTandems.weebly.com. Also, more importantly, if anyone would like to borrow a tandem then please also contact me via the website.

fabregas485

Sorry to bring up a old thread, but this seems really cool. I would love to give it a go, except I am not very talkative at the best of times

Herbie

Veteran

Obvious stuff
Not so obvious

Good on you....that's something i'd love to do.....my poor Bob Jackson Tandem has seen zero action since my Stoker and I split up.....such a waste not to be used on a regular basis....if there was an organisation for blind or partially sighted folks in my neck of the woods i'd be well up for it

Top Bottom