Tandem riding - with a blind stoker

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tyke

2 friends of mine did this a few years ago, after a few teething problems and a crash or two they went on to do several 60 mile charity rides with the blind one being the driving force to enter more rides

alans

black belt lounge lizard
Just discovered this thread via a Google search.
Coincidentally,Charlotte's Tandems passed my details to Paul West at British Cycling who,via the Blind Veterans UK organisation put me in contact with a stoker this last Friday for whom I hope to pilot.

Following a telecon this morning we have arranged to meet mid-Jan 2014

Result :thumbsup:

alans

black belt lounge lizard
I met my new stoker today ( or did she meet her new pilot?)

Each of us is satisified the other is not an axe murderer so all we need now is a tandem.
There is a plan in motion

alans

black belt lounge lizard
Today my blind stoker ordered & paid a deposit on a Dawes Galaxy Twin.Due for delivery to her lbs on Tuesday.Built up on Wednesday.We collect on Thursday:thumbsup:

as of yesterday we haz tandem:a short shake down ride identified the need to change a few bits but it's "all good"

Good on you....that's something i'd love to do.....my poor Bob Jackson Tandem has seen zero action since my Stoker and I split up.....such a waste not to be used on a regular basis....if there was an organisation for blind or partially sighted folks in my neck of the woods i'd be well up for it
Dear Herbie,
Haven't been on this forum for a while. We are all throughout the UK and have a branch in the Highlands. You could lend your tandem to us or advertise your services via our Facebook site, as we have lots of members. If you are offering rides then this is not part of what we officially do, so you and your stoker do it at your/their own risk.
Best wishes,
Alex

Herbie

Veteran
Dear Herbie,
Haven't been on this forum for a while. We are all throughout the UK and have a branch in the Highlands. You could lend your tandem to us or advertise your services via our Facebook site, as we have lots of members. If you are offering rides then this is not part of what we officially do, so you and your stoker do it at your/their own risk.
Best wishes,
Alex

Hello there....i haven't been on here for a wee while....unfortunately my Tandem is not in my custody and is currently languishing sadly in my ex partners shed....we are not on great terms at the moment....i did request my bike back in the summer but was refused....probably because i have a new lady who is very keen to have an outing on it...otherwise i would be more than delighted to have it used by others....such a shame and a waste of a fabulous bike :sad:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Just came across this thread by chance. I've never ridden with a blind stoker but used to take my son out, he has Downs Syndroms.

Tom is now in supported community living and has his tandem at his house. A volunteer takes him riding every Wednesday and this activity has encouraged Tom's housemates to take up cycling.

Currently a short tour is being planned for next year.

I would like to encourage anyone with the time and inclination to take up volunteering in this way. It's great fun, hugely liberating for the stoker and helps with fitness and general inclusion.

There are people with a wide range of conditions aside from blindness who would benefit from a cycling partner.

Top Bottom