England : Essex Friendly cycling club/group in Brentwood, Essex?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
HELP NEEDED

Hello Shaun and fellow cyclists

I'm a bit scared, fat, unfit and rather embarrassed with myself but I want to get back on a bike.
I live in Brentwood in Essex and I'm looking for someone or a group to cycle with who will be of like minded people. I'm worried about joining a cycle club and slowing people down. I think I could manage 20 miles at a slow pace at the moment.

I've been searching the internet for clubs or groups around my area but they all seem rather threatening to me.

Can someone point me in a direction please - anywhere would be useful.

Kind regards

Martin

Shaun

Founder
Hello Martin, welcome to CycleChat.

I've moved your post into the cycling clubs forum so people local to your area can respond.

Any other questions just ask away - we're a friendly bunch and there's a whole host of cycling enthusiasts here who will give you advice and encouragement.

Oh, and don't worry about your size, shape, speed or fitness levels - we've all got to start somewhere and the key thing is you're making a start which is great. :thumbsup:

Cheers,
Shaun :biggrin:

Shaun

Founder
Group rides are great - you can often go much further than your solo efforts and often without "feeling" it as you get lost in conversation and enjoying the cafe stops etc.

We've also got an informal rides forum where people randomly/regularly organise rides in their area (which often have less of a speed/distance goal than some club rides and are therefore a bit gentler on the legs and possibly less intimidating than the local pacey club 50 miler):

http://www.cyclechat.net/forums/cc-informal-rides-and-events.47/

Cheers,
Shaun :biggrin:

Nosaj

Martin,

Try your local CTC member group. I think there is one in Upminster alternatively one in Wickford.

They can cater for some very easy paced rides. Look up essexcycling.co.uk

Good luck

wakou

Über Member
Hi mate Chelmer club has a run every Saturday 1pm from the club hut (Chelmsford), beginners/children welcome, gentle 20 miles or so to a tea shop..... No child left behind!

Lee_M

Guru
theres a club out of billericay ( www.essexroadscyclingclub.com/ )that seem ok, not had chance to go with them as riding to billericay BEFORE the club run doesnt seem feasible to me at the moment

southend wheelers also do gentle sunday runs - bit start from carnewdon which is a bit of a way - but ok if you drive to the start!

good luck, if you dont find anyone let me know - I ride out of Leigh on Sea - usually on my own so always happy to find someone else to ride with

logrus

OP
OP
Martin Moore

Martin Moore

Regular
Sorry I've not been around for a little while - family busines seems to have taken up so much time... kids at school and university parents etc...
Well I'm 57 and currently pretty flexible time-wise during the weekdays as well as weekends.
Thank you everyone for your comments. I'm going to sift through the above this weekend.

Martin

Dave the Smeghead

Über Member
Martin,
I am not that far from you (just across the border in Thurrock), and family, work and all that sort of thing permitting up for rides. I don't go that fast either - an average of 12-15 mph. Weekends only at present as I am working away. Tend to ride early mornings, Saturday or Sunday and sometimes both if I can get away with it. I ride a hybrid so not into pushing as hard as I can plus I have the spare tyre around my middle too.
If you fancy a ride out get in touch.
Also there is Gateway Cycling Club that usually do a ride out on Sunday mornings starting from St Marys Church in Bulphan. They seem a friendly bunch, but I do worry that I would slow them down which is why I don't ride with them -yet.

Top Bottom