From A to B.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andyfromotley

I am a long time lurker on this paticular forum, and boy have you lot fired my imagination.

So i get to thinking perhaps i could do a bit of that touring lark! Anyways my mum lives in Gandia in Spain so i am thinking this might be a feasible route? Ferry to Bilbao the cycle across to Gandia. Is this realistic? too much for first timer, too hilly, too hot, too traffic filled?

Will probably remain a pipe dream but you have definitely piqued my interest.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&s...41.013066,1.340332&spn=7.890399,19.665527&z=6

Any of your thoughts would be much appreciated.

andy

Bandini

I am knew, so not a clue. But I would love to cycle through Spain.

Anthony

As someone who has cycled the length of Spain, I would definitely recommend it. I don't think it will be too hard. It is hilly and hot, but just rest during the middle of the day and take your time up the hills.
I had a look at your proposed route and it looks like you will be travelling on mainly dual carrige ways. I would recommend choosing a route that avoids these roads and go on the quiter back roads. Infact you probably won't be aloud to cycle on the main roads. Hope this helps.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Go for it. What's the distance? I see various options, call it 800km, that's nearly 500 miles in old money.

An easy touring pace is 50-60 miles a day - ok, less if it's very hilly or very hot, but you can plan your route to avoid the worst hills, and ride early to avoid the heat, and take a siesta.

Assuming you don't want to ride back too, there's a nice fortnights trip, at a doable pace - you could even take a day or two off in the middle. When would you be thinking of doing it? I assume it'll be less hot in spring or autumn. What sort of distances do you ride now? I set off on my first tour never having ridden more than 30 miles, and did 50-60 miles a day for 5 days, with little trouble.

If you're already up to more than 50, easily, then of course you could do it in less, but part of the fun of touring is the gentle pace, having time to stop and look at things, enjoy a coffee at a cafe etc...

Would you camp, or stay in accommodation? Camping means a heavier load of course, but is probably cheaper, and more flexible. If not camping, then the amount you carry is really only down to how fussy you are about wearing clean kit and having something 'civvy' to wear each evening, or how organised you are about washing stuff each evening.

I plan to cycle to my Mum's one day, that's only 100 miles, but I'd want to do it in a day!

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Definitely do-able - porche non?

Daily distances will depend on how fit you are, heat, terrain etc but it'll be fun.

Tony

It's a state of mind. All hills can be climbed, even if you need the 24" gear. It's just a matter of realising that the time taken doesn't matter. You get there,and it's all human powered, so who cares how long it takes?

Top Bottom