From Milton Keynes

Have you heard of park and pedal?

• yes

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • No

Votes: 10 71.4%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

toffee

Guru
Ok I'll bite, no

Drago

Legendary Member
Or just pedal. MK isn't perfect, but its a sight better than most towns for cycling across.

In addition, MK doesn't have too bad a congestion problem. You want to try such a scheme in Northampton, where the place grinds to a standstill several times weekly because of the bone idle cagers driving 3 miles to work.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Or just pedal. MK isn't perfect, but its a sight better than most towns for cycling across.

In addition, MK doesn't have too bad a congestion problem. You want to try such a scheme in Northampton, where the place grinds to a standstill several times weekly because of the bone idle cagers driving 3 miles to work.

i think thats the same in most places , in the office i work in 12 people with over 50% who live within 3 miles i am the only one who commutes by bike

Drago

Legendary Member
Too right Martin.

I've two daughters who live in different parts of Milton Keynes and visit regularly. Even during rush hour its one of the least congested large towns by virtue of its wide lanes and grid lay out. Park and pedal there will be about as popular as free parking for communists in Texas.

there are a couple of times a day where traffic is heavy in MK, but its not just MK that suffers, all roads leading into MK are chokka from about 07.30 - 09.15 and the reverse from 16.30 - 18.00. im often going in the opposite direction and wonder what can be done to limit the queues as most of the cars going in are single occupancy. it must be quite soul destroying to be in the queues every day.

it just seems that people accept that this is the way it is.

I think the park and ride/pedal types of schemes need looking at on a more joined up basis.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I found that Lincoln are promoting Park and Bike with some success.
http://thelincolnite.co.uk/2017/10/five-new-hirebike-stations-added-lincoln-45-growth/
Their route is car free, a bit like an MK redway, with free parking. There is a video if you go to their site.
They have elecric hire bikes too!!
Where it being promoted? I went to the link in that article and found nothing, so I went to www.lincoln.gov.uk →Visitor →Parking and still found nothing, so I tried a web search for "Lincoln Park and Bike" and still found nothing. Adding "Lincolnshire" to the search terms eventually found https://www.lincolnshire.gov.uk/tra...l/access-lincoln/park-and-bike/130617.article - if that's promoting something, it must be really hard to find stuff they want to bury!

So, 50 spaces at Washingborough, 100ish at Skellingthorpe and I don't know which car park at Burton Waters. It's a start but it could do with a northeastern park and another southern IMO.

petek

Über Member
Nicest bloke ever in the ebike community John ran Cyclezee sales, repairs etc from his house plus a lock up in Milton Keynes. Nothing was too much trouble for John and he more or less kick started ebikes in that part of the world.
He's not long retired and , last I heard; was touting for somebody to take over his licence for importing Ezee e-bikes.

Top Bottom