From the other side...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Checked the mirrors. Opened the door.
Nearly took out two fast-moving downhill cyclists near Brentor village hall. The curve of the road didn't help.
Frightened the bejeezus out of all three of us...

Roadhump

Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted
Perhaps a good example of us all being only human and capable of making a mistake at any time, even despite our personal leanings and preferences. When driving a car, I am sure I have also made insufficient allowance for cyclists at times without meaning to and in spite of my concern for cyclists' interests.

Also an example, perhaps, of our human fallibility and the stupidity of people who rebuke others for human error, or even reflexes, such as when I swerved to avoid a pothole this morning and received a 5 second horn blast by way of rebuke from some bellend in a Merc approaching from behind.

At least you realise what went wrong and hopefully will become a little wiser. Plus, the cyclists should have been riding out of the door zone in any event.

I nearly got mowed down yesterday, full brakes, back wheel skid, another cyclist straight out of a lower side road, cyclist was concentrating on getting to the top of his hill, whilst not looking for traffic, he spotted me then stopped, he apologised, I said no worries, there was a fraction of a second where I thought left or right to avoid him.

chriscross1966

Über Member
I nearly got mowed down yesterday, full brakes, back wheel skid, another cyclist straight out of a lower side road, cyclist was concentrating on getting to the top of his hill, whilst not looking for traffic, he spotted me then stopped, he apologised, I said no worries, there was a fraction of a second where I thought left or right to avoid him.

I had that a couple of weeks back one my way home from work... there were some roadworks and a guy coming the other way on the cycle path was looking for something that couldn't actually happen (something coming through the other side of the junction at speed, it's got a seriously nasty chicane in it,), and wasn't watching for someone coming the other way down the cycle path when he changes side of the road to get into the next bit of cycle track.... I'm quite proud that I managed a stoppy on a carbon wheeled Brompton, and wrote a thankyou email to the guy who built the wheel and recommended the pad compound I've got in there.... that was on a stock Brompton caliper too... It's a commute route and I know most of the folks I will see coming the other way on bikes by sight, he was new so probably isn't aware of the road layout and where the hazard sources are....

Top Bottom